Chapter 4: The Next Few Days of School

The next few days of school, are impossible. Thank God Dax wasn't absent, but it seems like every time Dax texts me Tristin does too. Tristin keeps away from me at school.

The only good thing that has come out of the whole Tristin-Vs.-Dax thing is that I found  out Tristin dumped Alli. For me.

Oh, yeah and I got my first real boyfriend. Bad part? I'm not really sure I like him back, and I know I don't like him as much as he likes me.

On the Monday after gala, I got up got dressed and got on the bus. I wasn't really thinking. Until Dax comes up behind me at breakfast, and kisses me on the cheek. In front of my friends.

So, he kisses me on the cheek then sits down next to me and grabs my hand. Shelby shoots me a "what the hell" look, and I feel terrible. One: realizing that I hadn't thought about Dax at all in the past two days, and number two: that I hadn't told my best friends that I have a boyfriend.

"Um.. yeah. Hey, Dax." I glance at him, then back at my friends. "Yeah, guys. Dax and I are.. uh... kind of a... um.. couple, now."

Shelby raises her eyebrows and everyone else aat our table glance back and forth between all of us. The bell rings throughout the cafeteria, signaling our first period. "Bye, babe. See you third period." Dax calls down the hall as we walk our separate ways. Shelby catches up to me and links arms with me.

"So, babe," she says to me in a mocking tone. I nudge her in the ribcage and she get's thte message. "What the heck? Together? When??"

I roll my eyes. "I don't really know. I remember being at gala. And we were dancing, he told me he liked me... I cried... and in the heat of the moment... I kissed him." Her mouth drops open. "I know it. But now, yeah I guess we're-" I air quote-"a thing, or a couple, or  whatever." I roll my eyes again. I turn my corner so that I can get to choir quicker.

Nothing even fairly interesting happens at all the rest of the day. Other than the fact that we, being Dax and I, got yelled at by most every one of our teahers for a million different things. Hugging in the halls. Holding hands during class. And kissing, even though it was just on the cheek... twice.

Then, Thursday, during lunch, I sit down at Dax's clique's table because I don't eat lunch usually. Then, as Dax gets to where he cannot see me anymore Tristin comes and sits next to me. And he is way too friendly.

His leg brushes mine and he places his hand gracefully onto my knee. I scoot my chair over so that he isn't sitting right next to me anymore, but he follows me and turns towards me, his legs open. I roll my eyes and say, "Tristin stop it, okay? Dax and I are together now, and I don't want to be with you, got it?" He sits there, shocked at my outburst. The me from last week would've never thought I'd be where I am now. "Now leave me the Hell alone. GOD!" I yell and plop back down into my chair.

He sits there looking at me, and he tries to say something. Maybe it was even an apology, but I never even find out because I yell, "What are you still doing here?!" Then he gets up and walks away. A few minutes later Dax comes and sits by me, and in the same seat that Tristin had sat in. He places his hand on my shoulder, grabs my hand, and sets his food down on the table.

"What's up?" he says, probably seeing the tears welling up in my eyes. I don't even have time to answer him before I'm crying into his shoulder. 

I wipe my eyes and sniffle. I look up. Almost everyone is staring at me. "I'm, sorry. guys." I say wiping my wet cheeks and excepting a quick kiss from Dax.

Everyone chatters on about various random things. Everything from the lunch in their mouths to their distance family relatives. But I'm not really listening, I'm thinking in circles. Every question I ask myself leads eventually back to one reoccuring topic: Do I like Dax or Tristin.