Chapter 18: Break Throughs

I sit there in shock.

Why? Why can't I have just one normal friend? Do all of my friends have to be mythical fantasy creatures?

I feel a tear streak down my cheek, and Shelby takes me up into her arms and tries to sooth me. But I don't respond.

It takes me a moment to gather my thoughts, but when I finally do, I push her off of me and grab my bag. I walk out of her room and throw the bag over my shoulder. As I walk out the door, Maria calls my name. I turn on my heels and glare at her. "What?" After she tells me to come and sit back down I roll my eyes at her.  "No. Goodbye." I walk out the door and down the street.

When I finally get to park my feet are killing me. I sit down at a picnic table, and toss my bag onto it. I put my head into my hands and that's when the tears start to flow. I sniffle and whipe my nose. All of the sudden there's a hand on my shoulder. I turn around catiously, and honestly scared of who might be touching me.

"Tristin?" I ask, completely  astounded that he's the one that found me first. Out of anyone else that could've shon up, he did.

He sits down next to me and pulls me into his arms, and surprisingly I don't resist. I lay my head on his shoulder facing his neck, and sigh. I wrap my arms around him and just collapse.

I can't feel myself. It's like I'm watching myself do these things, and I have no control over it. No matter how much I scream at myself to stop, I don't. My tears soak the shoulder of his shirt, and the gray turns even darker there. Before I know it I'm staring into the deep blue eyes, that used to make me flirt with him, and the ones he used to wink at me with in the middle of math class. I smile shyly at him and try to duck my head to the dark red bench beneath me, but he catches my chin with his hand and makes me look inito his eyes again. That's when I start thinking outloud.

I scoff then say, "You know how many times I would have loved for this to have happened? For you to be the one wanting to kiss me for once, instead of the other way around." I don't even care how much like a stalker I souond right no, because I need to tell this to someone. "That you would come over to me,  push me up against my locker and kiss me.

"You know, I saw you holding Alli's hand and I used to be so jealous, and I'd just hate her guts for getting to you before I could. But I've finally realized, I don't have a reason to hate her anymore. She's never really done anything severe enough to me for me to truly really hate her guts like it felt like I did. But then I realized something else. I shouldn't hate her, I should hate you."

He looks at me in disbelief shocked at that. "Yeah, because Iknow you knew I liked you, and you just... didn't give a shit about me.

"But Dax, he loves me, and I shouldn't have ever let anything come between us. No matter how large or ho miniscule it was. And you know something else? The second he kissed me at gala, I stopped liking you." I flash back to that night and smile until I look at Tistin and see his face getting redder by the second. "And because I like- love Dax, I've got to go." I try to stand up and walk off, but Tristin grabs my wrists, both of them.

"No, you don't," He says pulling me back down onto the bench. I groan in pain and tell him to let go, but all he says is, "No."

He moves towards me, trying to kiss me, but I dodge it, free my hand and manage to slap him. I stand up as quickly as I can, and I begin to run, as fast as I can in the opposite direction, leaving my bag behind me. He must catch up to me because he pushes me down face first, making me slam my head on a rock. It sends jolts of pain through my mind. I scream out in agony as Tristin turns me over too quickly, sending even more painful shocks through my whole body.

Tristin stands over me, and I can barely make out his face under the faint light from the streetlight. His eyes stare down at me, devilishl, scaring me half to death. I scream at him to let me go, but all he says is, "No." 

He rips open my shirt, revealing my under shirt. I silently thank God for me remembering to put one on this morning before school. He chuckles at me, and my cleverness. But before he can rip open my cami, a wolf tackles him and throws him against the tree behind us.  The crack I hear, I'd have thought had to have been Tristin's spine breaking.

Dax morphs back into his human form, and cradles my head in his hands on his lap. I try to smile a him, but I can't really see anything though the blood rushing down my face.  He takes one of his thumbs and wipes my eyes clean, then bends down and kisses my forehead. "I'm... sorry......" I manage, not able to speak very well. My head is making thinking and speaking, unbearably painful.

"I know, I know," He whispers and brushes my bangs out of my eyes. "I am too, Laney."

I try to say I love you, but it just comes out in more of a mutter. He knows what you're trying to say, I tell myself.

The last thing I hear before I pass out, is Dax telling me he loves me in a teary voice.

Then it all goes as black as night.