Chapter 12: The Movies Are Nothing Without a Good Friend

I tap my foot as Shelby and I wait in line for popcorn before the movie.

"So," Shelby asks elbowing me in the arm playfully. "How are you and Dax doin'?"

I shrug. "Fine, nothing to complain about."

"You should come over sometime, and spend the night, so that we can talk. We haven't really talked since before gala." 

I think about that for a minute. She's right. Shelby's my best friend, and, even though I know Dax and I will probably never really split up, I still need someone I can always count on. That's a girl.

I nod my head and say, "Yeah, that'd be cool. when could we do it?"

She diliberates on that for a second. "We could do it tonight, you know, my mom can take you home to get you some clothes."

"You have to take me to Austin's house." I scratch behind my ear and kind of mutter it, trying to get her to ignore that as much as I can.

I try and change the subject to the movie we are about to watch, but Shelby won't have it. "What the hell does that mean?" She stands there gawking at me.

The people in front of us grab there food and leave. I nudge her and motion forward. She rolls her eyes at me and orders everybody's food. When the counter lady moves to the  popcorn machine, she looks at me. "Your explaining this, Tonight." She wags her finger at me like she's an adult. She's barely even older than me. The counterperson sets all the consesions on the counter, and we grab it, then walk back over to our group. 

I kind of feel bad for Dax, because there's four girls around him, and only one other guy, and that's Kate's boyfriend, Jessie. I'm gonna go over to Shelby's tonight, okay? I think to Dax. He nods his head, slightly, so slightly that nobody but me can tell. Thanks. And I send him a small smile.

We walk into the theater and sit near the middle of it. I sit in-between Dax and Shelby, then Kate sits on the other side of Shelby with her boyfriend next to her.

Dax snakes an arm around my shoulders, and I lean my heada on his shoulder. I don't really remember anything about that movie. I mostly remember that everytime I gasped, Dax held my hand. And Shelby always gasped with me.

That's when I realized.

No matter how screwed up my family was. No matter  how much my own sister hated me, I'd always have to people that loved me.

One unconditionally, and also against his own will. And the other knew everything that was wrong witth me. and loved me anyway.

I knew that no matter what, these two people would be in my life. If someone deserves a place in your life, they'll always find a way, right?

I glance to my left and my right, and smile. I don't know why they'd lovve someone like me. My own family doesn't, but they do.

I love you guys, I think. And I know Dax hears me because he squeezes my hand. I link arms with Shelby, and sigh.

This is where I belong. Right here. Even if I don't belong anywhere else.