Chapter 16: Regrets, and Being Angry

I wake up again, a cold layer of sweat on my face, and finally give up on sleep.

I feel on the other side of the bed for my boyfriend, but come up with nothing. I sit up and realize he's not here at all. I stand up and walk out the door. I look around and figure he's in the bathroom, until I go to close the door. There's a note on the back of the door from Dax.

Lane,

Sorry, I had to go for a run to clear my head. I'll be back in little while. Try to sleep without me.

Love you,

Dax

I automatically know what he means. He morphed in the woods, and isn't coming home for a while, which sucks. But I try and go back to sleep anyway.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{  <3  }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

The dirt crowds in between my paws. It's cool and it sort of relaxes me, cools me off. Kind of calming me down too, but I still can't believe it.

I don't know how she can stand to still try to sleep. Laney kept on reaching over checking for something warm, because of her nightmares.

She is standing in her dad's office, and she can't move. She just stands there as her dad's coworker holds a gun to her father's head. As he pulls the trigger, she tries to move, but the best she can do is reach he hand out to him and scream. She watches the dark red splatter all over the pale white walls. Her blood curdling screams that comes next always gives me chills. 

The next thing she knows, Laney is standing in the middle of a church, looking down at a closed casket, we both know her father's in. As a tear falls down her cheek onto the casket, the same guy that killed her dad comes over to hug her, but he pulls out a knife. As he pulls back to stab my mate, she screams and wakes up.

I wasn't there when she saw her dad get killed. But that sounds like what she's always told me.  Not the part about her almost dying, that didn't happen. She had to testify at her dad's killer's trial, but only because her mom made her. The guy got life in prison.

She has almost that same dream almost every night. Except, that I don't always stay up at night, so I can't read her mind, but she always tosses and turns then wakes up and reaches for me every night. So tonight I stayed up to read her dreams, and now I regret it. 

I push myself forward, trying to clear my mind. I know that if I haven't gotten it out of my mind by now, it won't be happening by running. Yet my paws still dig deep into the dark dirt, and I can't stop myself from thinking of Laney. I try and read her mind from here, but I can't.

This, at first worries me, but then I remember that that probably means she's finally getting some sleep. Good.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{  <3  }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I climb back into the bed, and put  my arm around Laney's waist. I wonder how long it will be before she wakes up. I don't have to wonder long, because about five minutes later she sits up, strestches and yawns. Good morning, beatiful," I say. "How was your night?" 

She giggles at me quoting a very old country song. "Fine."

"I know you're lying. I can read your mind when your sleeping, too. You know that right?" I tell her. That's when a tear streaks down her cheek, I reach over and wipe it away. That's when she collapses into my arms, bawling. 

"It''s awful, I know it. Shh, shh, shh." I stroke her hair and whisper in her ear comforting and soothing things. "Hey," I grab her by the shoulders and pull her head off my shoulder. "Wipe those tears away, you've got school today, babe."

She groans, but I can tell on her face that she's sort of happy to be getting out of the house.

"So, how was your run?" She asks, trying to start an easy conversation.

"Fine," I mock her lying tone, she answered my question in. "I couldn't stop seeing your dream over and over again in my head."

Her eyes get a bit wider as I tell her that, but I place my hand on the upper part of her knee before shecan react any more. "I'm fine now. I just have one question about it," I reassure her, and she sighs trying to calm herself. She nods, telling me she'll answer it. "Was that the memory of... it, or is it a dream version?"

She swallows and answers, "Most of it is what... um... really happened. Other than  the funeral part of it." Silent tears start to streak down her pale cheeks. I wipe her tears away with the back of my hand, as I hear her mind. A million thoughts bounce around her skull, and I can't grab a hold of any one of them. She grabs my hand and kisses the palm, sending soraks up my arm and, not to sound too cliche, but makes my heart skip a beat. She takes another deep breath, and then she moves towards me quickly, stradling me at the hips and kissing me, violently. 

I wrap my arms around her back, and laying her down onto my comforter and pushing myself on top of her. My lips move to her neck and she tries to take her shirt off. At first I don't protest, but then I stop her. "Can't we just kiss for a while, without it leading to anything else?" I ask her, without moving my lips very far away from her's. "Please, don't be that way about it. I want to kiss you so bad, Laney, but I can't do anything else, okay. Not now. Not yet."

I mean it sicerely and she knows that I do, but her brows crease in confusion and frustration. "You're the one who laid me down, okay," she says, getting more irritated by the second. "It's not all my fault."

And with that she storms out of the room. 

I think to myself why the hell can't I just have been born a normal human. My life would have been so much easier that way.

I can't believe how much I've screwed this up. I turn onto my side and try and clear my head, but I can't. I just keep hearing her terrible thoughts about me.

\"I'm a terrible person, I know it Laney," I whisper, even though Iar should've never told you."