Part Twenty

[A/N]: Hiii! It's 2014... THIS CHAPTER IS DEDICATED TO NEVERFORGETLARRY FOR MAKING ME THE MUTLIMEDIA FANART :DD

Harry was in danger, and that was the only thing on his mind as adrenaline sent him flying into Nick Grimshaw. He heard the shots ring out, and he felt the burn. He could barely make out shouting voices over the roar in his ears that followed the stinging pain in his right side. But it was like he was sinking, sinking in water and he couldn't get to the surface. The cold water he sank into felt nice, took away the burning. Yet a large hand kept pressure on his side, touched his face, his neck. It kept him from sinking, and even though the burn was still present, the large hand was comforting and it wasn't dark. Louis quite liked the large hand.

The large hand eventually left him, and more hands grabbed him where he was jostled and jolted and poked with things. They weren't gently keeping him from sinking, they were yanking him to surface by the spot that burned most. He didn't like whoever had him, but luckily for him, they took pity on him and sent him into a dark, lonely, sleep. It wasn't as nice as the large hand, but it was better than the pain.

When he woke up, it was because a bright light filtered through his eyelids, and he wanted to roll over and hide his face into Harry's chest, wanted to go back to sleep. But he didn't feel the larger man curled around him, and he reminded himself, he must've had to work. Yet, a hand squeezed his, and he wanted to open his eyes but they simply felt glued shut. The hand in his wasn't large like Harry's and it didn't feel right, but he squeezed back, gurgling out in a horrid sounding voice, "Egghead... Harry, cuddle with me."

"Louis?" and Louis stiffened, because that wasn't Harry's voice. That was a woman's voice. "Louis, baby..."

Louis' eyes finally flew open. The ceiling was not Harry's ceiling, the bed was not Harry's, and he was hooked up to wires, machines, had something in his nose, and wheezed hoarsely, "Oh God- Harry, help- where is he?!"

"Shh, Lou, Lou..." the hands moved the grab his face while one was suddenly holding his arm firmly but gently. "He's at work, probably, baby he'll be here later on this evening. You're not in danger. You're safe."

"Is he okay?" Louis gasped. His chest hurt badly and he couldn't catch his breath, but to make matters worse panic was pressing down on his chest like a large weight. "Harry-!"

"Look at me..."

Louis finally stopped clenching his eyes closed, stopped clenching every muscle and making his chest scream and his airways constrict. He peeked at the person who held his face, his eyes falling on familiar tear filled blue eyes, brown hair, and his chest tightened up further if it were possible, "M-Mummy?"

"Hi, baby," she gave a teary smile. "It's been awhile..."

"Mum!" Louis croaked, hardly able to believe his mum was holding his hand and petting his hair. They hadn't talked or seen one another in over a year. Louis had been several months past twenty-three when he left his mother's house. His mother had a decent job, Louis was only in the way and taking up space. He had a job and could help pay bills and buy groceries, but as an adult it bothered him that he lived in his mum's house while he should have his own home. But he wanted to do something for someone. And so that night, the night he wrote a simple note telling his mum not to worry while he was gone, was the first night he stole, and the Sunday following was the day he found Tina and the kids to give the money to.

"We've missed you..." she sniffled. "I'm so glad you're alright."

It hit Louis hard, then, all that he had done. His mother had to have been so disappointed in him, and he croaked out with his sore throat as his mother leaned and kissed his forehead like he was made of glass, squeezed his hands, "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, I was bad. I'm not a good person, mum, I- I stole so much-"

"Shhh," she hushed, stroking Louis' hair. "That's over. That's done now, right? You're going to take the punishment for your crime and it's all over. You can start over."

"I am done, on Wednesday Harry is- Harry!" Louis looked around in bewilderment. He hadn't saw the curly haired agent yet, the last time he had saw him Harry had been at gunpoint.

A nurse came bustling in, and Jay huffed, "Oh thank God, he's only growing more frantic and I can't get him to calm down, he's so overwhelmed."

The nurse inserted something into Louis' IV bag, nodding, and Louis just wanted to know where Harry was, "He'll relax. Well, he'll eventually sleep... but he'll relax for a bit. Mr. Tomlinson, don't move around. Don't move your torso or your arms, just lay still. You're quite injured."

"Harry," Louis repeated. "Where is Harry?"

"Why is his voice like that?" Jay asked worriedly.

"From the tubes," the nurse explained, bustling about and changing Louis' bedpan and catheter bag. "He'll be hoarse for several days. I'll let the doctor know you're awake."

"Thank you," Jay smiled.

"Please..." Louis tried to meet his mum's gaze. He needed to know about Harry. He had his mum, he needed Harry.

The nurse left, already finished with tending to Louis' needs. Louis thought hard, knowing that Nick Grimshaw had a gun the last time he'd been awake. He didn't remember him ever being caught and he didn't remember going to bed with Harry. But it seemed to be earlier in the day than it had been when Nick Grimshaw was around, and Harry was gone.

Jay nodded, patting his arm softly, "He's okay, Louis. He's alright, I talked to him yesterday and he called me this morning to check up on you before he went to work."

Louis breathed a sigh of relief, grunting as his ribs flared with pain and it felt as if a fist was squeezing his right lung, "What happened?"

"You got shot, baby," Jay whispered. "Agent Styles told me about it. How he was supposed to be taking you in today... but he's not now. He's not on this case anymore, but-"

"What?!" Louis wheezed.

"Whatever that nurse gave you is not working," Jay chuckled. "No one is taking you in. You'll be in the hospital until you go to court... and Agent Murs is going to try to get you onto house arrest here in London. You'll live with me, and a police officer will pick you up every day to take you to complete community service. That's the best they'll get you. They don't want to give you jail time. They... they know what you did with that money. They know you're not bad."

"And you know about Harry," Louis nodded. "He's okay?"

"He's fine," she hummed. "Stressing out over you, but he's fine. He's a nice man, Louis. I was skeptical when he told me that he was an agent, but he's alright."

"Okay," Louis visibly relaxed, wincing as his muscles relaxed. Harry was alright. When he thought about it, it almost seemed as if he had dreamt about Harry. But Harry was quoting Shakira lyrics, and he knew that would never happen. "What happened when I got shot? To my body I mean. Did Nick- Nick Grimshaw, was he caught?!"

"He was caught," Jay nodded. "The bullet didn't hit you full on. It was more of a graze, and the doctors said your ribs shielded you somewhat. Anyway... the bullet wasn't embedded in you, they found it in the grass a few feet away. But the shot broke your ribs, and then when they applied pressure to your wound your rib punctured your lung."

"Nick's gun?"

"No," Jay shook his head. "Nick missed. It was an agent trying to hit Nick. Harry wasn't very happy about that one at all, but it wasn't his team."

"Aww, they didn't mean to," Louis smiled sleepily. "Egghead needs to not worry so much."

"So Agent Styles is Egghead...." Jay chuckled.

Louis blushed, moving to change the subject. He couldn't exactly talk about Harry with his mother, "How are the girls?"

"Good," Jay murmured, thumbing softly over the back of Louis' hand. "Worried about you. If they could come see you, they would. Lottie wants to come down this weekend. She's up at UNI. But the twins aren't old enough and even Fizzy has to have an agent with her. But she doesn't want to come in with an agent. They only let me slip in because I'm your mum."

"I do want to see them. I've missed them all so much... Harry would bring Fizz," Louis mumbled. "If she asked him he would, or I could ask him even."

Jay leaned towards Louis, resting her hand carefully on her chin, "So you like this Harry Styles? The man who was on your case for over a year?"

"Yes," Louis said softly. "I really, really like him. Love him, actually. I don't just tackle people with guns to protect average people."

At that moment, a man walked into the room, smiling at Louis, "Mr. Tomlinson... your guards outside the door startle me every time. They say you're not a violent fellow, though... so that's good. It's also good to see that you're up! How are you feeling?"

"Uh..." Louis said uneasily. "Sore? My ribs. They're sore."

"Yes, they were broken," the doctor chuckled. "And your poor voice. It's quite shot for the time being... er, bad word choice."

Louis gave a wheezing chuckle, and Jay looked unamused, "He still looks exhausted. Is he allowed to sleep?"

"Oh goodness, yes," the doctor nodded. "But Louis, make sure to move your legs frequently to keep the blood flowing well through them. We don't want you on your feet yet, but we don't want blood clots either."

"Okay..." Louis nodded.

"And we'll re-bandage your side while we're here," the doctor murmured, and he and the nurse went to the sink to wash up and change gloves before they came back and carefully opened up Louis' rib brace. When his ribs weren't tightly constricted, breathing hurt far worse than it did when his ribs were being held.

"Oh- oh God, it-" Louis grunted, trying not to breathe heavily, but the pain was making him gasp for air.

"Louis, Louis," his mother soothed. "Even breaths... keep them even and small."

He twisted his head to see a row of stitches holding a red and puffy incision. The skin seemed stretch tight, and the doctor noticed Louis' wide eyes, "We didn't need to skin graph. Nearly... the graze wasn't horrible, though. We could stitch it."

They bandaged and wrapped him back in his brace, and it exhausted him further. The doctor murmured an apology to him as they checked his blood pressure and oxygen levels before slowly removing the tubes in his nose. His mother protested, "Is that... are those ready to be removed?"

"He breathes entirely on his own, this oxygen is just pure oxygen and it boosts his oxygen levels without him having to work hard for it. He should be alright now, his levels are high enough. If they drop below a-" Louis didn't catch the number, closing his eyes and relaxing as he felt his mum's hand in his own. He was nearly twenty-five, but he could still hold his mother's hand if he felt like it. Especially if he'd been shot.

But he pictured Harry holding his other hand, stroking his hair, kissing his nose, and it relaxed him even more. It could have been the drugs the doctors had given him, but he passed out almost instantly.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

"How do you think Agent Murs is doing with the paper work for Louis' case?"

"Probably better than we would be doing, Harry," Zayn sighed. "You could barely open your desk drawer, you're so distracted. Admit it... Louis drains all of the agent quality out of you."

"I just want to leave and go see him at the hospital already," Harry huffed. "Do you think he's up by now? I don't even know if Jay is there with him or I'd call. I don't want to bother-"

"We had to drag the both of you from the building yesterday," Niall chuckled. "I think she'll be back there."

The lead agent leaned his head down onto his desk, "She was there this morning when the doors opened to visitors. I called her..."

Niall snickered, earning a glare from Harry, and Zayn rolled his eyes, "Well I don't think you're getting out early today..."

"I'm not," Harry grumbled. "I have to go see Payne in an hour. But then I might be allowed to leave."

But it was the longest hour of Harry's life. When he finally rode the lift down to the first floor, walking through the halls to Agent Liam Payne's office, he lightly rapped his knuckles on the door until Liam called out, "Come in!"

Harry slipped in, pointing at the door, "Close it?"

"Go for it," Agent Payne waved a hand.

Harry closed the door, turning to face the agent behind his desk. Like always, he was handsomely dressed, but rather than being clean shaven he normally sported the fair amount of facial hair. It wasn't a beard, but it gave him a manly appearance. He wasn't so lazy that he didn't shave, it was obvious by the amount of time he had spent slicking his hair up into a styled quiff. He had a way of arching his brows and making his brown eyes seem intimidating even to the normally unfazed lead agent.

Liam arched his brows, nodding to the chair in front of his desk. Harry sat down, placing his hands on his knees, "So is this meeting about... yesterday?"

"It is indeed," Agent Payne nodded, leaning forward. "Tell me, Agent Styles. You knew that Grimshaw was at your home. Why didn't you wait for the others?"

"I was being threatened sir," Harry replied softly.

"You were being threatened? Physically?" Agent Payne asked.

"In a sense..."

"I just need to know," Agent Payne sighed. "Because when we have people get shot... that's not good. That's not what we want."

"Right," Harry agreed. "He... he saved my life, Agent Payne. Grimshaw was going to kill me... and Tomlinson purposely distracted him."

"I know, I know," Agent Payne nodded. "That's why I removed you from the case. It became personal. So that's why I'm curious about what I'm going to ask you next: are you at all affiliated with Louis Tomlinson? Or have you been?"

Harry blinked in surprise. This was his boss. He couldn't lie to his boss, shouldn't, but he couldn't expose himself and Louis, "I... he's the criminal and I'm the lead agent. I was on his case for over a year, we kind of just... became affiliated. It happened."

"Not in that sense," Agent Payne sighed. "Outside of work."

Harry's hands tightened on his knees, and he felt his jaw tense up. Agent Payne would know that he was lying. He'd already blown it. So he exhaled, slowly nodding his head, "Yeah. I've affiliated with him outside of work."

"Before or during this case?"

"After," Harry said, realizing that it was the truth. "And during. The news. Remember?"

Agent Payne's shoulders seemed to sink in relief, "I was afraid you were about to tell me you were purposely letting him get away for all these months."

"No!" Harry spluttered in surprised, and then he laughed. "That sassy little... he mocked me. I wouldn't just let him get away. But his case isn't mine anymore. So is it, or is it not true that I can be affiliated with him outside of work. Say... at the hospital. Because I'd like to thank him personally. For saving my life three times. And if it becomes more than that...?"

Agent Payne narrowed his eyes, "If it becomes more?"

"After he's already gone to court and had everything decided. After jail, or after whatever he has to do. Unless it's house arrest and community service."

The man seemed surprised, sitting back in his chair and poking his tongue around his cheek before he nodded, "I don't have any control of your personal life. Outside of work, if you aren't bothering things related to work... I can't stop you. After court, Tomlinson's case isn't ours anymore."

Harry hummed, "Yes... is that all you wanted to discuss?"

"Basically," Agent Payne nodded. "Hopefully you don't give me reason to call you back in here."

"I won't, sir," Harry nodded, standing up, waving to Liam as he headed back up to their own floor.

Harry didn't dare go home early for fear of making Agent Payne more suspicious. He simply tried to distract himself with busy work until 5:30pm when he immediately left for the hospital, simply giving Zayn and Niall short waves goodbye.

On the floor of the ICU, he held his badge to people as he walked through the large doors towards Louis' room. Two of Agent Murs guards still kept watch outside, and they nodded to him as he walked up, "Agent Styles."

"Hi," he pointed to the closed door. "Can I-"

But then the door was opening, and Jay slipped out, nearly bumping into Harry. Her eyes widened in surprise, "Oh!"

"Ms. - Jay, I mean Jay," he murmured. "You've stayed here all day?"

"Mhmm," she nodded, but much to his dismay she led him away from the door. The door was still in sight where she stopped by a medical supplies cart, but they were out of earshot of the other agents guarding the door. "I couldn't bear to leave him."

"Good," Harry breathed. "I was sitting at the bureau and hating myself because I couldn't be here. Hated the thought that he was here all by himself. I mean, I've had criminals before get injured and no one comes to visit him but he's... he's Louis and he deserves visitors."

"He was asking for you earlier," Jay said softly.

Harry's breath hitched, and his eyes fell back onto the door, "He asked for... me? Which means he is awake, when did he wake up?"

"Around noon," she chuckled. "Mumbled something about Egghead and wanting to cuddle."

"Oh," Harry blushed. "He... he asked for me. Well of course if he knew you were here he'd have asked for you I'm sure, you're his mum so-"

"He's twenty-four," she laughed. "He's probably going to be a bit more eager about a love interest than his old mummy. Now get in there and make my baby boy happy."

"He loves seeing you, too," Harry insisted. "The way he would talk about you-"

"Agent Styles. I'm going to go get him dinner. Keep him company."

"Right, right," Harry nodded, and as he hurried towards the door, she walked out of the ICU. The agents didn't even question Harry as he hesitantly turned the door handle, slipping inside and past the room's bathroom to see the hospital bed.

Louis' mattress had been elevated slightly, and he no longer had tubes in his nose. His hair was still mussed and slightly dirty looking, but he was beautiful. And alive. He was alive, awake, and if it weren't for his I.V, wrapped up chest, and circles under Louis' eyes, Harry wouldn't have been able to tell Louis was hurt by the happy expression he wore. He hadn't even noticed Harry's entrance, was simply staring down at a book he had. Robin Hood. But Harry's shoe squeaked a bit on the tile as he took a step forward.

Louis looked up, dropping his book, and then he gasped sharply. He winced in pain from the sudden intake of air before he rasped out, "Harry!"

Harry stumbled forward, falling to his knees at Louis' bed and seizing his hand as uncontrollable tears of joy sprang to his eyes. He kissed Louis' fingertips repeatedly, breathing out, "Louis, Louis, Louis...."

"You came to visit me," Louis croaked happily. "Stand up and kiss my lips what are you-"

Harry scrambled up and leaned gently over Louis, cupping his face and pressing their lips together, "You're insane! You're nuts, there's nearly fifteen guns pointed at you and you tackle Nick Grimshaw and you get shot!"

Louis' eyes were bright and blue like they were supposed to be, weren't closed and he wasn't deathly pale and he wasn't cold against Harry's lips as the older boy murmured, "I love you."

"Wait!" Harry declared, scrambling back and glaring. "No. No. You scared the absolute shit out of me, I thought you were- you were bleeding all over me, all over my hands and my pants. Your ribs broke and you were making a horrible raspy sound and I thought you were going to stop breathing on me. I thought you were going to stop. I told you before, that you were important and that you mattered to me so why did you- for me- I was okay? I-"

"I was afraid," Louis admitted in surprised, still reaching out weakly to where Harry had scrambled away. "For you, because Gremlin said he was going to do it. He doesn't mess around. Your agents couldn't stop him while he was watching them."

"But I thought I'd lost you! You made me think I was going to lose you, Louis, and let me tell you, that that's a serious criminal move to make! Robin Hood, fucking stealing my heart and making me love you a-and giving me yours in return only to almost rip that all back away from me again because you're trying to save my life-"

"I won't ever rip my love away from you, Egghead," Louis said softly, making grabby motions since he couldn't stretch to reach Harry. "Come here, please, I want to kiss you. Sorry I scared you. I love you..."

Harry's shoulders slumped in defeat, and he hurried back to Louis' side to mould their mouths together once more, cradling Louis' face as tears dripped from his eyes, "My Robin Hood."

Louis felt the wetness drip onto his nose, and he pulled back in surprise, his heart clenching up as moved the arm on his good side to thumb at Harry's cheeks, "Harry! Are you... are you fucking crying? You don't have to cry, I'm-"

Harry gave a teary chuckle, scrubbing his cheeks and attempting to mock Louis' voice as he quoted him, "Crying just happens, it's free range."

And Louis giggled, tugging gently at Harry's curls so the younger man would kiss him some more. The agent instantly pulled back, however, as Louis began making strangled breathing sounds and his oxygen monitor began beeping. Harry's eyes were wide, and Louis only laughed with a pained expression, making his oxygen monitor beep even crazier.

A nurse came bustling in, sighing, "What strenuous thing did you do, Tomlinson? Take it easy! You've got to go back on the nasal tubes for a bit more."

Harry watched guiltily as the nurse helped Louis put the tube on, winking at Harry as she walked out. Louis rolled his eyes at that, "People always trying to hit on the agents. Snog me heavily when you hear her come back in, that way she knows you're mine."

"I'm yours," Harry assured, examining Louis' bright face. He still lacked his normal color, but his eyes Harry could see the light and mischief in them and that was all he needed to know that his Robin Hood was alright. "I'm all yours."

"My frog face, egghead, agent," Louis beamed happily, trying to sigh but then clutching his chest.

Harry bit his lip, "I know... rib injuries hurt. I've only ever had them bruised. I can't even imagine having them broken. Poor, poor, baby..."

"I'm older than you, asshole," Louis scowled.

"But you're tiny as shit."

"And your ass is small," Louis declared, yet at Harry's look of surprise, he blushed. "I still rather like it. It's cute."

Harry laughed, leaning and kissing Louis' nose, "I'm so glad the banter isn't gone between us. I just wish I could cuddle with you."

"We'll cuddle at my mum's house... if you'll have me..." Louis mumbled. "And if I'm able to have house arrest rather than five years to life in prison."

"It's funny, because I visited you when you were still sleeping and asked you if you'd let me come see you while you were on house arrest. Everyday. Until you can come back to my house. Agent Payne talked to me today... before you say anything, I wasn't grilled. He just asked if we were affiliated outside of work. I didn't... lie? But I didn't tell the truth. I reminded him of the time I communicated with you through the news. And I told him I was coming to thank you in person," Harry rambled, stroking Louis' hair aimlessly and brushing his thumb across Louis' cheekbones and button nose.

"And by thank me you meant you wanted to snog me until my blood oxygen intake levels ran low," Louis huffed with a pout, but then he winked.

"No, I actually feel bad about these," Harry lightly touched the oxygen tubes. "And your poor voice from where they had to stick tubes... it breaks my heart."

"Hey," Louis shook his head, not liking that Harry sounded so upset. "I broke a lung. We're in the same boat."

"Broke a lung," Harry chuckled. "That's so medically inaccurate..."

"Love me."

Harry tilted Louis chin up to look at him, "I do love you. I told you that when you were hit... and when I came and visited you last night. I'm telling you now, and I plan to tell you for as long as you let me."

"And I love you. But you were here while I was sleeping," Louis nodded. "You see, my brain wasn't entirely present. I knew you were here I guess but I was still dreaming. Because you quoted a Shakira song and Agent Harry Styles would never know a Shakira song, much less quote one."

"I'd do anything for you," Harry chuckled, leaning and nuzzling his nose against Louis. "Whenever, Wherever, baby."

DID YOU LIKE THIS CHAPTER? If you liked it you should buy me a coffee :D (please don't feel obligated to, this link explains more - https://Ko-fi.com/A250PZ7 (if you don't feel like copying since it's wattpad and you probably have to type it out, this the link can also be found on my profile :D)