Memory XIII

Arlo was back.

My heart fluttered in my chest happily at the news. He had been gone for so long, too long. I had missed him so much. A smile broke out across my face as I hurried towards the infirmary. I needed to see him, to make sure he was alright with my own eyes, spying was not an easy task and those caught were punished severely. When Malak told him to leave the moon and Lara had told me he would be returned okay but I wanted to verify their words myself.

I looked down the hallway, making sure the coast was clear before I continued my fast paced trek towards the infirmary. My skirt swished around my legs and I pressed a hand to my bulging belly where my little one lay sleeping. Just feeling her weight inside of me was a comfort, with her there the chaos in my head quieted, everything grew so dim and felt far away. She was like a piece of the moon settled inside of me to help calm the stormy ocean of the two torn beings inside of me.

Lara had helped me much in guiding my mind to love the little life and it did. She had been such a help in the time Arlo was away. I spent most of my time with her, drinking her concoctions and basking in the familiarity of her presence. She almost felt like I was coming home, as if being with her was where I needed to be. The moon told me stories of her life, a life well lived and loved. I loved hearing of her tales, it soothed me, it soothed my mind into loving the life we had growing inside of us.

The door came into view and I smoothed my hand over the gentle swell of my rounded stomach. Arlo would be excited to see it. He had last seen me when I was just over four months. My belly was much bigger now and I knew he would be ecstatic to see it. I slowly pushed open the door and slipped inside. The smell of the infirmary made my nose tickle but I ignored it as I scanned the closed off sections. I was drawn to the one near the middle of the room and peeked inside.

A rather exhausted and ragged looking Arlo was laying down with his arm thrown across his eyes. I quietly came into the curtained off area, making sure it closed properly before I moved to stand beside his bed. He looked so tired and dirty and just worn. He had a beard on his face and it looked so strange on him. Nexus had brought him home. The mountain rumbling its displeasure as Arlo had been caught, attacked.

I stepped closer and reached out and picked up his hand that was laying on the cot's sheet. I tangled my fingers with his and gave it a gentle squeeze. "Hey." I said it softly and watched as he slowly lifted his arm, his brown eyes peeking out at me.

He pulled the arm away completely, blinking at me. "Maggie?" His voice was raspy and I nodded as I reached out and brushed his hair from his forehead. How I had missed him. He had filled up the spaces in my chest, removing the ache. My calming breeze. How I had missed it after four months of gale force winds battering my sore soul.

"Of course." I brushed my thumb across his forehead as I gave him a bright smile. "I wouldn't miss welcoming you home for anything. You are my family." How I had needed that. He had done so much for me, was so kind. In pack where kindness was rare and all but forgotten, Arlo was special. How I adored him for being different.

"That you are." A small and crooked smile graced his face, it was not the smile I was used to but I would take it. I didn't doubt he was in pain.

"Are you well? Injured? Hurting?" I attempted to look him over but couldn't see much but a few dark bruises. I didn't like not knowing how he fared out in the wilds.

"I'm fine. Just some bruising and some cracked ribs." He coughed and gave my hand a small squeeze. "It's you I'm worried about." His gaze was on my face, taking in the large bruise on my cheek and temple that Malak had left. Sometimes his anger got too much that he still struck me, even though I was heavy our child. I wanted to wince at the sudden painful churning it caused in my brain. The two foes trying to reignite their attacks against one another at the reminder. Love him, hate him.