Chapter 23

I stared at the far wall as Doc Adrianna moved the light in front of my eyes. She made a faint sound as I winced at it, repressing the urge to close them tightly against the harsh brightness. "Have they been frequent?" She shut the pen light off, tucking it back into her pocket and I nodded. "How bad?"

I made a slight face. How bad was it? My head ached continually and some days it was a chore to roll over to even get out of bed. I was finding it harder and harder to do my job as an Alpha, let alone as a parent fro Madeline. "Out of what scale?" I looked at the doctor and she let out a small sigh, pursing her lips in thought.

"Scale of one to ten. One being perfectly fine, five being its getting hard to function but I can still do so and ten being I am unable to function at all." She seemed to watch me carefully as I frowned, trying to pinpoint where on the scale I fell.

"Seven." I could still function but it was more than difficult and leaning more towards the side of me that couldn't function at all. I had wanted to lie but I couldn't. I was getting worse and at first I could pretend it was okay but now it was starting to show. Linnette had definitely noticed, as had Ollie, now even Avery was commenting on my rather drawn appearance.

"Okay." She gave a small nod a frown making a small crease appear between her eyebrows. "Elissa-May, what is your take? I know this isn't a physical issue, its a bit out of my league." She turned her glance to the healer who was rolling some crystals in her hand, staring off into the distance with a rather blank look on her face. She looked like she had completely checked out.

There were a few moments of silence before the healer stilled in her rolling of her rocks. "So many false paths one must take, one must follow, with anger as their guide." Her tone had that hollow edge and Adrianna's face didn't twitch like mine did as she watched the healer. The woman's face darkened, like thunder clouds rolling in on a warm day. Her intense eyes focused on me and within a blink of my eyes she stood in front of me. "Something wants out." Her stared deep into my eyes, as if seeking what it was that she was talking about. "Something wants to push through but can't." She touched my forehead and a mind searing wrenching inside my skull had me crying out, hunching forward with the dizzying pain.

Her hand yanked back from me and she looked at me almost accusingly as she rubbed her fingers, as if the touch had harmed her as well. "This is not good." The words were a low whisper

"Elissa?" Adrianna frowned, reaching for the healer. She looked confused and I knew I should have as well but my eyes were teary as there seemed to be phantom throbbing in my skull that lingered from her touch.

Elissa-May pointed to my head. "What ever is in there wants out but it can't. Pressure is building with no release. Fractions and shards aren't enough anymore. Something is calling it out." That made no sense. I rubbed at my forehead, hoping to chase away the phantom pains that lingered in my mind.

"Calling what out?" Adrianna looked at me, the frown deepening on her face as she looked me over.

"Something that was never supposed to be in there." Elissa's cryptic response seemed to frustrate the doctor as much as it did me. I didn't understand what she was saying and it didn't help the feeling in my head any.

Adrianna moved over to her medical storage. "What can we do to alleviate what she is feeling? She needs to have the symptoms lessen." I agreed wholeheartedly with her assessment. I was not on board with continuing to feel as I was. I couldn't do my job as an Alpha feeling how I was.

"Nothing. Her anger will boil and bubble without stop and it and another will call the rest out but it won't fit. They aren't meant to be in there." At her words I narrowed my eyes. I was trying to piece together what she was saying but my brain wasn't cooperating. I closed my eyes, trying to think of what she was talking about, what in my head that wasn't supposed to be there.