Chapter 27

I adjusted a suitcase in the trunk and closed the lid, making sure it latched before I moved towards the front of the car and opened the door. Lucas led Avery over to the car and I stepped back, letting him settle her into the passenger seat. He murmured to her that it was alright, kissing her cheek as she gave him a frightened look. "It will be alright, love." He brushed his knuckles down her cheek gently. He pulled away from the car, closing the door firmly.

"Do you have everything ready?" I hated how my voice wavered as I asked the question but if Lucas heard it he didn't remark on it as he nodded.

"Everything is packed and they know we are coming." His voice was low and he looked down at me, a rather sombre expression on his face. I knew it was hard for him, he had made the decision to take himself and Avery to the Boarder House. He had struggled with it, I knew he did but in the end Avery's need for help was stronger than his want to stay.

I swallowed hard and I looked towards the driveway for a moment, trying to gather my bearings. "Alright." I gave a firm nod, my head ached but it was such a normal part of my life now that I was nearly used to it. I looked up at him. "Your position will be here for you when you get back." I wouldn't take it from him. He was one of my ranked members, someone I wasn't willing to replace.

I had encouraged him to look towards the Boarder House to get help for Avery and I felt a bit hypocritical that now that he was leaving to do just that I wanted to ask him to stay. I was tired of people leaving. Even though I knew he was doing it for a good reason, a rational one, I still didn't want him to go. My wolf and I felt almost... insecure about those close to us leaving but I tamped the feeling down. It wasn't about me, it was about Avery getting the help she needed.

Lucas let out a heavy sigh and the sound pulled me from my thoughts before he grasped my arms and pulled me close, giving me a hug. I was surprised by the action before I found my arms wrapping around him and holding him close. "We will be come back when Avery is able." His voice was firm but even and his grip on me tightened. "Hold on, okay?" His voice dipped to a low tone before he slowly let me go.

I stepped away from him with a strained smile. "I will. Take care of yourself and Avery." I nodded at the car, my gaze landing on where Avery had curled up in the front seat, her knees pulled to her chest. I turned back to look at Lucas. He ran his hand through his hair as he nodded. He looked tired and drawn and I hated he felt like that but I knew he needed to deal with it himself and there was nothing I could do. I crossed my arms over my chest and slowly backed away from the car as he moved around it to the driver's side.

"Good luck, Lucas." Linnette's voice came from the front door of the house and Lucas lifted his hand, giving a short wave as he pulled open the driver's side door. I watched as he slid into the seat, starting the car up. I backed away further as he pulled away, heading down the driveway. "How are you doing?" Her question wasn't a surprise, I had been waiting for it.

I could hear Linnette moving closer and I gave a small shrug. "Don't like everyone leaving." It was a sense of security issue, I knew it was. After Cai banned me from the coven I felt a frantic need to cling to everyone around me, to hold them close and not let them go. The coven was my security and without it I felt lost so I was trying to recreate the sense of security the coven had given me.

Her hand grasped my shoulder as she stood beside me. "They will be back." It was a soft reassurance and I merely nodded. I knew that, it was the only rational thought to the situation but I knew my thought process was far from rational at the moment.

"How is everything with your family?" I glanced at her and she lowered her head, frowning slightly. I knew the subject pained her but she needed to let it out. She had a family dinner with them and Ollie last night and that wouldn't have been very comfortable for her and Ollie. She let out a heavy sigh, pushing out that heavy exhale of air as her eyes widened. "That good?" I watched as she pinched the bridge of her nose.