Chapter 15

Wrong sister.

It was my only thought as I snarled at the male who stood before me. This was the male who had taken Maggie from me. This was the male who dared to stand there with some sort of twisted hope in his eyes. He had no right to look at me like that. I reached out, shoving him hard. He stumbled backwards, nearly falling as his eyes widened with realization. I wanted that feeling in him. I wanted him to realize I was his death.

Something thrummed within me but I shoved it away, there was nothing that would distract me from what I was going to do. I followed him into the interior of the small cabin, a heavy growl rattling my chest. I had been so keen on my vengeance I had even left shortly after the vampires had fallen into sleep. I was alone. I hadn't wanted anyone to be there when I did as me and my wolf wished to do.

The male blinked at me rapidly, his mouth opening before he closed it and swallowed. "L-listen-" I snarled at him, cutting him off. I didn't want to hear anything he said. My body trembled as my wolf snapped and snarled in my head. She wanted out, wanted to taste his flesh and feel the warmth of his blood.

"Daddy?" At the sweet voice both of our heads jerked towards the kitchen. I nearly staggered at what I saw. A sweet faced girl blinked at me and the male and I felt like I was looking at a ghost. The little girl was nearly a carbon copy of Maggie as a child. She had egg in her little hands and my heart thumped hard against my ribcage. I felt like my reality was shifted and I was no longer bound there. It was Maggie in the kitchen, I had some how slipped back in time to when we had been young children and I had demanded that Magdalene get her scrambled eggs for breakfast.

I almost heard the sounds of my parents as they made us breakfast. My mother's soft laughter filling the air as my father sung loudly. His made up songs always made us laugh so hard before we begged for him to sing them again and again.

"Daddy is dat mummy?" The little girl's voice brought me back to reality as she pointed at me from the male's arms as he picked her up. I felt my breathing quicken as I looked between her and the male. The pieces were slowly slipping into place. I knew Maggie was dead and my stomach twisted as I realized what it was.

"No, Maddy." The male shook his head, his eyes on me as he watched me intently. "That is not your mummy. Your mummy is gone."

She was Magdalene's daughter.

I felt my eyes burn as my stomach churned at the realization. I shook my head, trying to keep the bits of memories from coming back into my mind. My wolf and I were off balance, unsure of what to do. Our world felt like it had been torn apart and shaken violently, jumbling everything together. We had the instinct to protect the little girl but it was clashing with our need to destroy the male holding her. I felt frozen, unable to move one way or the other. The male looked just as frozen as I was, as if stuck in a similar feeling of being thrust into an alternate reality.

"I am glad I arrived in time." At the voice I turned my head, seeing an older shifter with intense silver eyes. "Arlo, take Madeline into her bedroom." She moved closer and her gaze landed on the male. She waved him towards a small hallway, he followed her direction without sound. I stared at him as he did so. "A female that moves with the shadows... you fooled even Mene. That is not an easy feat." Her voice seemed to snap my mind back into focus. The rage returned, with an intensity that nearly staggered me.

I bared my teeth and moved after him. A hot hand grasped the back of my neck and before I could turn around to knock the hand off, a jolt hit my body so hard my legs buckled. The hand followed me and the jolting hit me in pulses. The pain was extensive as it filled my brain with white hot static. It seemed endless until her hand retreated and it stopped abruptly.