Chapter 37

Realization flooded me as I watched his form stiffen as he fought with his wolf. "Ohhhhhhhhhhh." I couldn't help it as I took a half step back. Arlo was from an Alpha bloodline and that meant his wolf was as well. The creature was probably more than impatient with me and it was a rather alarming thought.

"I apologize but I am male and you are a beautiful female. That thought was just a bit much for my wolf." His eyes were dark as he looked at me before he pressed his hand to his forehead once more and almost hunched forward.

I shifted on my feet slightly. "I'm sorry." I cursed myself for even bringing the subject up. I knew how tetchy his wolf was and I hadn't thought before I had spoken.

He slowly shook his head as he slowly seemed to relax, the darkness receding from his eyes. "Its not your fault." I wanted to argue but I knew Arlo wouldn't accept that. He could be stubborn when he wanted to be. I crossed my arms over my chest as I stepped off the front step, the move bringing me closer to him. My cheeks flushed heavily and I cursed myself as I resisted the urge to touch my cheeks to try and calm down the heat. "You really look nice." He said it quietly and the heat in my face seemed to grow worse as even my neck started to feel warm.

I felt really uncomfortable in the outfit but Linnette had picked it out and had threatened me into wearing it. It made me feel like I was playing pretend. "Thank you." I glanced up at him and tried to hold his gaze as I gave a small smile.

"Either you two kiss or get off the front lawn!" Linnette's voice came down from the upstairs window and I scowled and took a step away from Arlo as I looked up to glower at the female. She was hanging out the window with a shit eating grin on her face.

"Daddy can' kiss her, Ninnet! Ewwwwwwwww!" Maddy's voice made me smile as I watched as she stuck her head out beside Linnette's. She gave a big wave. "Hi, daddy!" She looked excited to see him before she looked at me and signed that she wanted to come too.

"Sorry, sweet heart. Not this time, maybe next time?" I accompanied the words with the signs I knew were appropriate. "Daddy is coming over tomorrow so maybe we can go out then?" At my response she gave me a dark scowl and crossed her arms over her chest with a heavy pout.

"I wanna now!" She was a demanding little thing and I felt a small smile creep up on my face as I looked at her. That attitude reminded me a lot of myself when I was her age.

"I don't like bossy little children." Arlo's voice rumbled from him as he gave Madeline a look that told me that he wasn't going to pander to her behaviour.

She gave an indignant little sniff in response. "I'm Alfa." At the sassy response I had to look away to hide my smile. She was quite the little female and I knew she would be a wonderful Alpha when the day came.

"I don't like bossy little Alphas." Arlo stressed the word and I once again looked up to see Maddy glaring at Arlo, her bottom lip stuck out as far as it could go and her small arms wrapped tightly around herself.

"Yer mean." She said it as if he had broken some unspoken code in her world where he was supposed to give into her every demand. I half wondered if it was simply her Alpha nature showing or if we were catering to her a bit too much.

"I'm your daddy. Its my job." The look he gave her made her deflate slightly before she looked down at him, her expression turning to a bit of hopefulness.

"We go 'morrow?"

Arlo nodded. "Yes we can, bug."

A bright smile lit up her face and she nodded happily. "Okaaaay! Luv you!" She blew us both a kiss before she disappeared from the window.