(4) Present

(4) Present: 2012

Why I came back to that bridge, I had no idea. My throat burned for the taste of blood and that boy’s face hadn’t left my mind since I tasted his. When I approached the bridge where I met Jeremy just the night before, I noticed that he was standing there like he had been before, except he was standing behind the little fence.

“You came,” I stated in surprise.

“We had a deal,” he replied, not turning to look at me.

His wounds from the night before were covered with Band-Aids. He looked at me with a grave smile.

“It was more of a proposition,” I pointed out.

“I know, and yet I came. I’m an idiot.”

“No, you’re kind enough to help me,” I blurted, stepping towards him eagerly for a taste.

He stepped away from the fence and stood before me with a tight jaw. “It’ll hurt, won’t it? When you bite I mean.”

“Last night was out of thirst. I’ll try to bite a little lighter if you’d rather.”

He nodded and took another step my way. I couldn’t believe I was getting another free meal without the hassle of disposing him. He might not have tasted pure and delicious like I have tasted in the past, but he still good.

“You’re wearing the same clothes,” he murmured, staring at my simple white dress and black cloak.

“I pack lightly when traveling.”

“Why’re you traveling?”

My throat continued burning as I impatiently waiting for my taste. Why was he asking questions? That was never part of the deal. He stared at me with those light blue eyes that were tearless tonight.

“What’s with the questions, Jeremy?” I demanded harshly, hoping he’d just shut up.

“Can’t I get to know you first before you rip my throat out?” he wondered.

“No, you can’t. Too many questions ends with someone’s heart ripped out.” I wasn’t planning on ripping out anyone’s heart, but I knew my creator would if he knew I had talked to this boy. A man I should say.

In a quick movement, the guy yanked something out of his jacket that I realized was a crucifix. I yelped and leaped back, my fangs extending at the threat.

“So it does work,” Jeremy said in surprise.

“How dare you!” I hissed.

“I am going to ask you some questions and you’ll answer them. Understood?”

Why didn’t I rip his throat out when I had the chance? I backed away from him, my eyes most likely showing to pain of being betrayed. I never trusted anyone, and yet I had put some trust in him, only to be stabbed in the back.

“Come on, get in my truck,” he spoke loudly.

“What keeps me from running right now?” I asked in a hiss.

“This.” He threw something at me that was in a water bottle, and I screamed out in agony. “I guess holy water also works. Now get in my truck,” he growled.

My skin burned as if I had boiling water tossed on me. I’ve only ever had this done to me once or twice before. The first time caught Xavier and I off guard when we were hunting near a church…

I limped to the stranger’s car and got inside, thinking that as soon as he got in, I’d rip his throat out with my sharp teeth. He got in, but held the weapon at me so I wouldn’t make a move.