(24) Present

(24) Present: 2012

A bang on the bathroom door woke me up instantly. My head banged against the hard, slick tub, causing me to cuss and glare furiously at the door. I hated sleeping in the tub, but there was no way I’d stay in the living room after what El had done. Xavier had offered for me to stay in his bed, with him in it. That would not only cause more issues between us, but also confusion for me. I’ve tried to keep my distance for both of our sakes. Clean cut and crap.

My patients were wearing thin, and I wondered how long it’d be before Xavier lost it as well. Furiously, I got out of the tub and pulled on a pair of baggy grey sweat pants. I usually only sleep in my underwear because it was something I was mostly used to. It was comfortable and plus it was just me locked in the bathroom. When I opened the door I came face-to-face with my creator. He didn’t look amused or cocky as usual. His expression was impatient and almost frustrated.

“I found a witch, she’ll be here soon,” he told me.

I gave a slow nod, noticing how he was avoiding eye contact. My words last night must’ve sunk in. We moved towards the living room, where El was currently at. Her eyes were wild and her clothes shredded because, well, she’s crazy and did that on her own. Her wrists were chained to a hook in the floor—Xavier must’ve made that new addition last night. I took a seat in a chair across the room, my eyes on El the whole time as Xavier took a seat next to her.

It wasn’t long before the doorbell was ringed and he got up to answer it. It was quite shocking to see a young woman walk through the door, looking almost younger than me. I was used to witches being old and frail with white hair and dangerous eyes. This woman was less woman and more girl in my eyes. She walked gracefully into the living room with her thick and long, wavy brown hair swaying slightly at her waist. Her dark eyes fell onto me; a slight grimace on her face confused me.

“El, Lucy, this is Angelica.” Xavier gestured towards her.

She gave a twisted smile and forced herself to look towards me. “You wanted both removed, correct?” she asked him, her voice high-pitched as if she were nervous.

Xavier looked at me and half-smiled. “Yes.”

“It’ll take a bit for me to find it in my gran’s book…” She pulled a heavy looking leather book from her bag and stared at it for a moment. “Can I sit in the kitchen?”

“Go ahead.” Xavier led her into the kitchen and even pulled her chair out for her like a gentleman.

“Thank you, Xavier.” Her eyes were on him in such a strange way, and her smile was very genuine.

“Looks like our Xavier has been around…” El murmured just loud enough for my ears to pick up.

I tilted my head to the side in confusion. “What do you mean?” I whispered.

She rolled her eyes and leaned closer in a creepy sort of way. “Isn’t it obvious? That girl has been with our boy. I shouldn’t be surprised, though…”

No, impossible, I thought as I stared between the young witch and my creator. He wouldn’t ever be with another girl. Impossible. I mean, he was chasing me. Why would he sleep with a girl when he was chasing another one? He hunted me down for ten years, so he couldn’t have been with another girl other than me in all the years I’ve known him. Impossible. I looked between them, noticing the way she was absolutely comfortable with him. He looked comfortable as well.

“Are you jealous?” El asked almost smugly.

How could I be jealous when nothing happened? I thought, not taking my eyes off of them. It never occurred to me that Xavier would be with anyone else. Maybe I had pictured him to always be waiting… for me. I scowled, mostly at myself. I hated how this was bothering me. I don’t want Xavier, and yet I felt almost crazy by the sheer thought of him being with someone else. I had to remind myself that this was just El trying to drive me mad and that I would soon be off on my own by the next night. I’ll be free.