(17) Past

(17) Past: 1935

We walked into the club, my hands on his arm in a very proper sort of way. The music filled our ears as we made our way to a table near the back.

“What would you like to drink, love?” Xavier asked.

I winced at his nickname and shrugged. “Red wine I guess,” I murmured.

When he left to get us our drinks, I adjusted my hat and dress in case it had been roughed up at the house from… earlier. It disgusted me how weak I was around him at times. I loathed the man, yet I feel like I’m a magnet and he’s the metal. He returned with a large glass of wine and a mug of beer big enough to swim in.

“Xavier?” said a deep voice.

We both looked up, seeing a tall, handsome blonde man with a strong jaw, broad shoulders, and a rough stubbly face that only seemed to enhance his looks. I swallowed hard as I looked into his eyes, feeling this strange sense when looking at him. There was something different about this guy, as if he were familiar.

“Axel!” Xavier greeted with excitement, shaking his hand. “Please, have a seat!”

The handsome man took a seat, his eyes going between me and Xavier for a moment.

“Who is this beautiful woman?” Axel asked, his eyes roaming over my face.

I felt my body stiffen; terrified that Xavier might leap across the table and take this kind, attractive man out. “This is my girl, Lucy,” Xavier replied with a smile. “Lucy, this is my very good friend, Axel.”

Confusion swept over me. No attacking? I simply reached across the table when Axel did and let him take my hand, kissing it very gently. “She’s lovely, Xavier. You have fantastic taste.”

“I do. How have you been? I haven’t seen you in years.”

“I’ve been fine… Clair, unfortunately, isn’t with us anymore…” His expression seemed torn as he looked back at me in the strangest way. “She was staked a few years back. I was nearly beheaded myself…”

“I’m sorry, Axel. That must’ve been tragic.”

He nodded. “I doubt I’ll ever find another girl like Clair. Gorgeous, sassy girl with so much fight in her…”

He is a vampire! Now I understood the strange feeling I got when he came close. He wasn’t human. Xavier ordered another round of drinks to toast Clair’s name. According to Axel, Clair was his creation and his lover. After about four more beers, he talked of her gentle kisses and shiny red hair. Of course, Xavier was getting us another round of drinks when he mentioned how much I reminded him of her.

“You must stay out of the south for a while. The people there seem to be more aware of our kind, friend,” Axel told Xavier.

“But it’d be fun to fight again. But Lucy obviously shouldn’t be put in the middle of that.”

I’m right here, I thought grudgingly as I sipped on my third glass of wine. It took a lot of alcohol for us to feel any effects of it. I was just feeling less annoyed by each sip.

“Come on! She looks feisty to me!” Axel motioned towards me.

Xavier shook his head and narrowed his eyes. “I’m not putting her in the middle of a war. We have already faced several fights, and she could hardly keep away from them.”

I frowned, feeling like a statue on his side. I swirled my glass, partly enjoying it when Axel talked of his own adventures. He seemed to be filled with an exciting life with tales of fighting, treasure finding, and even meeting the queen of England one time. I was leaning forward, listening intently on his story of a one night stand with this girl that eventually was the one to nearly kill him.