5

Word Count: 5143

Chapter 5:

Chaos, chaos and more chaos

˝So, Ty, what happened?˝ Allen asked, smirking, as soon as the guys queued up to order, the girls went to the restrooms and my cousins left to saunter around.

           I shook my head, not resisting my smile —he knew me so well and yet not at all.

           ˝The lift had a blackout and we were stuck in it for that long, that's all,˝ I said, waiting for a bored reaction from him.

           He raised an eyebrow at me, ˝Are you sure?˝ then lowered his voice to a whisper, ˝No special urges to kiss him or something?˝

           I hit his arm, laughing, ˝No, of course not, you dumbass. I have a boyfriend, you know.˝

           ˝That's what you said to Javier when you were dating me. And to me when you were dating Elliot,˝ he pointed out.

           I smacked him again, ˝I'm serious this time!˝

           He chuckled, ˝If you do that one more time, I'm going to tell mum. So hit me baby one more time.˝

           He winked at me, trying to sound like Britney Spears.

           ˝As if I'm scared of mum,˝ I rolled my eyes.

           He replied, ˝She won't let you eat cheese and chocolate and sweets or drink milk from the fridge for a week.˝

           I shivered at the thought, ˝That should never happen to anyone.˝

           ˝—But you, if you continue to hit me,˝ Allen added.

           I opened my mouth to protest, but a crowd forming around two people fighting caught my attention and I stood up to go check —it seemed like it was Chase and Eddie.

           ˝B! Eds! Sto—˝ a hand clamped over my mouth and I glanced sideways at a smirking Chase.

           ˝Didn't know you cared more about me than the ass,˝ he said, ˝Though that's not us. C'mon, let's get out before it gets worse.˝

           We weaved back out through the chanting crowd which was yelling, ˝Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!˝

           Once the air was no longer humid, we gathered the rest so we could go.

           Allen, Violet, Celestine, Melanie, Sherella, Chase, Tiffanie, Bernice —where the heck is Eddie?

           A series of loud applause was heard which led to Allen, Chase and I looking at each other in understanding —it signalled that a third-wheel had joined the fight and that would most likely be Eddie who just loved to help others out in the wrong times.

           In a flash, we were back in there, squeezing through the sea of bodies that belonged to watchers as they moved backwards. Why are they moving backwards? I was not left hanging —sure, two guys were fighting, pretty normal here in Beaufort, but Eddie was one of them.