Chapter 4

Don't worry, when I said, 'I'll have to end it there.' I did in no way mean the book, just the chapter. I know theres some confusion about the end of the chapter 3 with the 'characters' but no fear, it will be explained soon enough.

*****

As I sit here, on a wooden chair outside the counsellor’s office, I stare at the boy that commented on my onesie. We are both just looking at each other. It’s not a staring contest because we have both blinked multiple times and no one said ‘HA! You lose!’ So it’s safe to say that he is as fucked up as me.

“I’m Keegan.” He said. It took me by surprise as I wasn’t expecting him to just blurt it out like that.

“I’m Emma.” I say as plain and simple as he did.

We keep staring at each other’s faces. I come to a conclusion that we are trying to understand each other without speech. It’s going quite well, I have to say. I notice his scars on his arm and collarbone, differently self-inflicted. They are in neat, thin rows of four and I’m guessing he used a pencil sharpener blade. (I know from experience)

I look away from him as I remember a thought that I do not wish to think of while looking at his face. It’s the comment Ruby-Lee said, about Nina and Shelby. Just as I was about to think deeper about how Ruby-Lee basically told me that they push un-stable girls off the roof, and it’s easy to believe. What? I mean I am at a mental hospital and they’re worse case happenings that could happen. I’m as cold as ice and I don’t really think that they push girls off the roof. I think they lead them out of the hospital. I mean, wouldn’t it be talk of the hospital town if two girls, missing from their rooms at the same time as a girl ‘jumps off the roof’ and dies? No, it would be in the news or the roof would have a fence or stricter security.

“Keegan Phillips?”  A lady pops her head out of one of the counsellor’s officers. Keegan stands up, walks over to me, bends down to my sitting height, and kisses me on the forehead.

“We’ll talk later, okay?” He asks, he stares at me, faces centimetres apart before I whisper in his ear a yes.  

He stands back up to his full height and walks over to the office, he gives me one last look before opening the door and walking inside.

“Emma? Emma Clover?” A man opens his office door and stands outside, looking at me.

“Yeah, that’s me.” I say as I stand up and walk into his office.

“Hi, I’m Doctor Welby.” He greets with a smile.

“Now, one of the nurses told me you experienced a hallucination yesterday in the pill room, am I correct?” He asks me as he sits down on his couch and I lie down on those stereotypical counsellor client conches.

“That’s true.” I say as I look up at the ceiling.

“Tell me about it.” He said.

“Well, in the pill room, I was about to take my meds when a voice started telling me not too. There was four people, Ana, Mia, Axel and Noia.”

“Tell me about them.”  

“Well first off, Ana, she represents Anorexia. She was the one that told me no to eat and how fat I was, am.”

“Okay.” He eagres me to continue.

“Mia, well she signifies Bulimia, you know, the Mia in bulimia? So she encourages me to throw up. Axel, his Anxiety, he fills my heads with thoughts of things that can go terrible in the future. And Noia, she’s Paranoia. She says things like ‘Turn around’ ‘Someone’s looking at you’ ‘Oh god, quick, turn on the light, there’s something in the shadows!’” I finish explaining them.

“What do they look like? Cause it seems you know who is a boy and who is a girl.” Doctor Welby asks.

­ “They don’t look different, their all the same. They are light dark grey outlines of human bodies, they kind of float and have this sense of home around them. They kind of look like angels

[[[[[[[[[

So, That’s the end of another chapter, comment what you think of the story so far.