Chapter 20

Brian's PoV
Kevin had cancer. He said he was okay. But he wasnt. He had lost tons of weight, more than he had before. Now he looked like a skeleton. He hair was thin. "Were going to shave his head now...", Vanessa had told me. Baylee loved Kev even more now, he was protective of him. He never left his side. He would cry when we took him back home. The surgery had been delayed. Time was running out.

Vanessa's PoV
His eyes were sort of..bulging out now. His hair and eyebrows grew thin. He looked different. But I loved him nonetheless. Dr.Fletcher told me that we needed to keep him healthy or the surgery would fail. Kev would often drift into a deep sleep while talking. It scared me but I knew he was tired and scared too. I couldnt wake him up. It was still him though. My beautiful husband.
I didnt tell him but I had taken a few trips to the maternity floor and we were pregnant. We were going to have a baby. I felt like this wasnt a good time to tell him. But I had to tell him sooner or later.
"Mrs.Richardson?"
"Dr.Fletcher. Hello"
"We can have your husband's surgery tonight. He's stable enough"
This was a shock. "T-Tonight?"
"Yes. We shouldnt delay.  There's been a huge change in his health, he--"
"What?"
"If we delay any longer, he might die.. He's not taking this very well and may...die.."
I gasped
"He's very weak. But stable enough for a surgery"
I nodded. Dr.Fletcher went into Kev's room and told him everything. Everything except the part about him dying if we delayed. The doctor was very good with Kevin. He was never blunt about anything, he never sugar coated anything either.
I called Brian and Leigh-Anne then I called AJ, Howie and Nick. And then I called Kev's mother and his brothers.

It was 8pm. Kev was ready for surgery, everyone talked to him and gave him all their love. Then Brian suggested that we pray. Brian and Leigh-Anne were very religious. I was too. Kevin wasnt, but recently he had turned to God for guidance and that's what brought him as far as he came.
I was the last one to speak to him. I asked to be alone.

V: "Ready honey?"
K: "Yeah.. I love you"
V: "I love you too. I have something to tell you babe"
K: "Yeah?"
V: "We're having a baby.."
K: "I? Im going to be a daddy?"
V: "Yes"
K: "Baby.."
He started crying. I hadnt seen him cry like that. "B-baby...Nessa... I wont get to see our baby will I?", He bawled.
"Honey, of course you will...", I comforted him.
"I dont wanna die!", he cried harder. Almost yelling.
"You wont baby. You wont. Dont say that Kevvy. You have to make it you have to meet our baby and see him grow up. You want to right?"
He nodded.
"Then you'll make it... you'll live okay baby..?"
"Ok...ok", He said taking a deep breath.
"You said him Nessa...you want a boy?", he asked
"I want a happy, healthy baby who looks just like his father."
He nodded and I smiled at him.
"Forever and Always"
"Forever and Always...", he smiled back.