Chapter 5: An Investigation

"You've been looking dreadful for the last few days. What is concerning you?" Mom asked as she drove Irene and me back to home.

   "It's just... You know mom... The missing of Swit, I mean Mr Swit," I said. I knew telling nothing was concerning me would only trouble me - she would definitely understand that something was wrong, after all.

   Nothing about Mr Swit has been found out so far. And yes, the cops have given up. So did the school and others. Nobody even spoke about it anymore. That startled me every time I thought about it. And his house... It was declared as a banned place. Banned topics, banned places... This place was so mysterious.

   Anna was so torn up these days. That made me sad too. And it was not just her, the whole area became weirder than before. No one would step out after dark. As a result, mom's work hours had been reduced.

   "Don't think too much over it, Chris. The police have assured us that nothing will happen," said mom with a smile plastered on her face.

   "Yeah," I replied wearily. I knew she was thinking about the missing of Cathy. But I didn't want to talk about it. And I believe, she didn't either.

   We reached home. I got out at once and waited for mom to open the door. Once we were in, mom went straight into the kitchen. She has the habit of drinking a glass of milk whenever she felt tensed. I went into my room and collapsed onto the bed.

   I was feeling guilty. I wanted to do something about it. But I didn't know what. And then an idea blossomed in my mind.

   I will go to Swit's house tonight and conduct an investigation of my own.

                                ***

   It was 11:00 PM. I checked I'd everything packed. It's been a while since I'd gone out at night. I tip-toed to mom's room. She was fast asleep. I made my way to the door. Got out. I started my journey.

   Although I've never been to that side before, I pretty much had an idea where it was. Usually the roads will be deserted but tonight, they were absolutely isolated. I mean there wasn't even the noise of crickets!

   I took out my flashlight and turned it on. It was not that dark but I was scared. Yes, I was not myself anymore. I'm not that special teenager who loved late night trips anymore. I am, now, more or less like any other teenager.

   I reached the part where the road split itself into two directions, like the tongue of a snake. The right side led to The Old Cemetery. And the left side to Swit's house. More trees covered either sides of the roads. Trees with thick canopies. My flashlight became necessary.

   Like every spooky place in this terrible place, this street was deserted as well. If I were in danger, nobody would be there to help me. I'd seen the photographs of his house. So I got no trouble identifying it if I saw it.

   I suddenly heard something moving behind me. I turned and shone the flashlight from left to right. Nothing. After checking once more, I continued my journey. Again, I heard someone's footsteps, very clearly. I stopped and again turned back. At first I didn't catch anything but as I was about to turn back, I noticed a shadow lying long on the ground from behind a tree.

   A drop of sweat streamed down my forehead. Despite the fact that my heart was banging wildly against my chest, I put a foot forwards, in the direction of the tree. And then the next foot. And then it turned into sort of a run, till I reached the tree. I put a hand on the trunk and slowly moved and finally took a look to see who was standing there.