Chapter 10: The Wedding

I stood up. Tears were strolling down my cheeks. Of all the people... Cathy! Oh my! It broke my heart to see her that way. All those moments I'd spent with her rushed into my mind. I almost cried...

   "The last time I came here, it was Seth's body that I'd to encounter. You see, the thing is that you don't see any deadbody - you see the body of a person whom you'd loved so much," Anna said matter-of-factly.

   I couldn't stand there, looking at her body. I just wished that I never came to this damned place.

   "We've to bury her," I said, wiping a tear out of my left eye.

   "You can't Chris! It usually disappears after a while and reappears in another part of the Palace."

   "So you're saying that these bodies belong to the Palace?"

   "Kind of... They're his slaves."

   "Whose?"

   "Seth's, of course!"

   I narrowed my eyes at her.

   "Are you telling me that they're alive?"

   "No... They're dead. It's sort of like they'd risen from their graves."

   I rolled my eyes.

   "Oh, come on! You still haven't heard the entire story," she sighed. And then she began tracing the wall of the Assembly Hall with her fingers and cast a curious glance on it as if she were seeing it for the first time. "This is where the wedding of Edward and Amelia took place... In the presence of all the subjects of Assangue."

                                 ***

   Amelia set off to the field as usual. But she was walking slower than usual and it was obvious that something else had already occupied her mind...

   I hope he comes today too...

   Meanwhile, Edward was getting ready to race that path again. But his mind too, was stuck thinking about something.

   I hope today I'll be able to catch her face...

   Thesaurus raced and raced and raced. George was trailing behind as always. Dust coated the air as the hooves kicked past the ground.

   When they neared the field, he slowed down the raging stallion. And so did George. To Edward's relief, she was there in the field.

   A smile spread across Edward's face as he saw her close up. She seemed surprised, as if she wanted to see him again but thought she wouldn't be able to. She quickly looked down as she saw him looking at her but that couldn't hide the fact that she was blushing.

   The shift of the season from spring to summer was the only indicator that time had passed. Otherwise, everything remained the same. People went to work as usual, children cried over one thing or another, Edward still raced that path and Amelia still looked up every time she heard the sound of the hooves.

   Edward couldn't conceal it anymore. It's been months since they'd started this silent game. He wanted to talk to her. He wanted to tell her that when he became the king, he wanted to see no queen but her. Every day, he thought he would do that the next day. But he kept postponing. But this time, he was adamant - he'd talk to her the next day.

                               ~~~

   Amelia's heart was trying to fight its way out of her chest... Or so it seemed. The Prince had just called her. Think about it, the Prince! All days he'd been riding past their field... She never thought he'd actually want to speak to her...