Chapter 23: Unexpected

Amelia was stroking her belly up and down. Time had really flown after all. The support of Aranchis had really been comforting and his care for her was beyond words. In about a month's time, they would have a new guest in their midst.

As she was lying in her newly made bed wondering whether it would be a boy or girl, George came in with a glass of milk. She struggled to get up and George immediately ran to her, set the glass aside and helped her.

"Here," he said, extending the glass of milk to her, once she'd settled.

"Did he say anything?" asked Amelia for it was Aranchis who always provided them with food these days. How the old man managed to do it, she had no idea at all.

"Just the usual stuff," said George, mocking Aranchis. "Don't move much, don't think too much, don't dehydrate yourself-"

"Oh, stop it George," Amelia stifled her laughter. "That was lame!"

"Uh-huh."

Once she'd finished the last drop from the glass, she settled down again. George lied next to her. He put an arm over her stomach and she closed her eyes.

"I can hear him," he said.

"Forgot that your hands had auditory powers. Plus we don't yet know whether it's a girl or boy," said Amelia.

"Oh, come on!" groaned George, "It was just an expression."

Amelia rolled her eyes. She closed her eyes and thought of the past few months. The news of her parents' death had depressed her so much that without the help from her husband and Aranchis, she wouldn't have survived.

The nights that followed were an endless play of nightmares. She'd dreamt about everything from Edward killing them all to her parents chasing her baby to death.

Edward's cruelties had reached a hiatus. Or Aranchis wasn't telling them anything anymore for he was very much concerned over her health. The former was more likely the case since Aranchis never concealed anything from them.

Her hatred towards him had only heightened over the months. Personally, she wanted to kill Edward herself. And she'd do that one day. She looked over to George, only to find him in deep slumber.

The past few days have been extremely tiring for him. He was running day and night for this and that; sometimes even to keep watch. The baby had to be safe. That was everybody's priority now.

~~~

"So you think it's time I give up my search?" Edward asked Aranchis indifferently. He had always known that it would eventually come down to this.

"Yes," Aranchis said, placing his glass of wine on the table with a gentle clink. "It's been about eight months. If she hadn't survived the curse by now, then she might not ever!"

Edward looked at Aranchis coldly. He shot up from his chair, walked over to the nearest window and took a long swig from his glass. He was silent for a few seconds, as he smacked his lips with his tongue.

"How many nights, Aranchis?" he asked as he turned, a rage evidently building up inside him. "How many sleepless nights have I spent looking for her?"

When Aranchis didn't respond, he continued.

"For months, I haven't slept properly. For months!"

Aranchis took in Edward's features carefully. His hair was long and unkempt, his face unshaven. Dark circles loomed under his eyes, suggesting a good night's sleep. It must be the state of his mind for his hair was now grizzled.