Chapter 7: Anna's Revelation

I stood there, frozen. The moment I'd dug it out, the dizziness had gone. I came back to my senses. I dropped the shovel and it landed on the ground with a thud. Think about it, here I was, having dug out my teacher, holding the shovel. My hands were slippery with sweat that was continuously flowing down.

   I couldn't stand there any longer. I turned and surveyed the area, not to check whether someone was watching me, but to see Seth was there or not. The Old Cemetery was stranded save for a 15 years old boy. My doubts about Seth strengthened. Maybe he was a human physically but definitely not mentally.

   I just came all the way here with a murderer! Well I can't be sure but then how did he know the exact place where Swit was buried? Moreover, the six months I'd been here, never before had I seen a weirdo like him.

   I turned and hurried out of The Old Cemetery. I didn't wish to spend another second in there. I wished I could get home in the blink of an eye.  I rushed past the trees, ignored the noises, looked only straight ahead, determined to reach home as quickly as possible.

                                 ***

   I was in for a surprise, the next day. I should've seen it coming, I couldn't believe I was stupid enough not to fill Swit's grave before I returned. In my hurry to get out of there, I completely forgot why I wanted to leave in the first place.

   The grave was discovered and the police was called. People got absolutely no idea as to who was behind all these. But I'd a bad feeling that I'd be called in again for an enquiry. But still, the whole incident hadn't caused an uproar as it should have.

   The classes were suspended for the day and next day as well. In the meantime, the police hoped to get some clue on the murderer. I decided to stay at home itself. Mom took the day off, worried by the happenings. Irene was really scared. I hoped she no longer wanted bedtime stories.

   "Chris! Irene! Breakfast's ready," mom shouted from the kitchen. I went to the dining hall. Mom was laying a plate of pancakes and a jug of orange juice on the table. There was also a glass of milk for her. Mom is tensed. Otherwise she wouldn't have taken milk now. In fact she seemed very pale and I had the ghost of a doubt that she'd cried. But why?

   We all sat around the table. As I took my first bite, there was a knock on the door. Mom stood up and went to answer. She opened the door and seemed quite surprised.

   "May I come in?" a bold male voice asked.

   She moved aside to let in whoever it was. I looked over to see who it was, and was shocked to find a police officer.

   "Dr Molly Crate?"

   "Yes."

   "Sorry to disturb you this early but we need your help."

   "Anything at all."

   "As you know, the body of Mr Swit was recovered today. You're the only doctor in the area. Please come with me for a preliminary examination."

   "Just a second. Care for a bite?"

   "Oh no. Thank you, though."

   He went out and mom hurried into her room to change. A few seconds later, she stepped out.

   "Stay here, OK? I'll be back soon."

   Both of us nodded. And then she went out. We continued our breakfast. My heart was hammering wildly against my chest. Had they discovered the shovel? I was afraid it had my fingerprints on it. Right now, all I could do was pray. Well, at one point or another in our lives, a miracle is bound to happen. I hoped one happened in my life today.

   After breakfast Irene went into her room. The notion of finding her math teacher dead all of a sudden was too morbid for her immature mind. I went into my room. I decided to call Anna. I dialled her. One ring. Two. On the third, she picked up.

   "Chris?" she sounded doubtful.

   "Will you come over to my home?"

   "Um... I don't think-"

   "It's urgent Anna. I wouldn't have called otherwise."

   She was silent for a few seconds before mumbling out a yes. A half-hearted yes, it was. Her house was not that far away, she should be here soon. She definitely knew something about all these, of that I was sure. Too many things have been nagging at the back of my mind and if I didn't put an end to their constant clamor, I might end up insane.

   As I tried to unearth what appeared like an indecipherable cipher, certain things rang a bell.

   It was now obvious that Swit and Cathy knew each other. The certificates I'd seen at Swit's were more than enough proof. Now that also suggested one other thing: mom and Swit must have known each other as well, even before we came here, as mom and Cathy were very good friends, and both worked for Hope. But what still didn't make any sense was why had all this happened to Swit and Cathy.

   And mom seemed very upset. That was when I realized that she was keeping some thing from me as well. And when Anna comes, I'll get to know what she's gotta do with all these. She'd been anticipating something like this ever since the detention.

   There was a knock at the door from downstairs.

   "Coming!" I shouted.

   I opened the door and Anna stood before me.

   "Come in."

   "What's the matter, Chris?"

   "Let's go to my room."

    I led her to my room and once we were both inside, I closed the door.

   "Will you tell me what you want?" asked an exasperated Anna.

   "It's you who should be telling me," I said.

   "What do you mean?" her face was sharp.

   "Sit down first. And then tell me about the empire that once ruled here," I demanded.

   She gasped.

   "How do you know?" she asked as if I let out something embarrassing about her on WikiLeaks.

   "As it is, I know something about it. But I want to know everything that happened back then. Tell me the story."

   "But Chris, who told you about it?"

   "Does that matter?"

   "It most certainly does!"

   I studied her. She looked terrified.

   "A boy named Seth."

   She pulled her hand to her mouth.

   "Seth?" she asked.

   "Yes, Seth. I met him at The Old Cemetery one night and then I met him again last night. He told me that the protection was broken and 'they're free.' Didn't make any sense to me. And then he told me a weird story which confused me further. And it was he who showed me the place where Swit was buried. Yes, it was I who dug him out. I don't know whether he was behind it or not but he seemed pretty weird," I said without a break.

   "Tell me how he looked," she asked.

   "A young boy, tall enough, with black hair."

   "That's him," exclaimed Anna which sounded more like a terrified squeal than an exclamation.

   " So what's the big deal?"

   "Chris..." her voice broke off as she struggled to let the words out,"he died about an year ago!"