Chapter 15: Down to Five Nights

The only sound that could be heard was that of our quick, raspy breaths. To be honest, she looked like a witch to me, the kind you've heard about in fairy tales.

   Anna's grip on my hand was getting tighter; I let out a moan of pain.

   "Why don't we all sit down and talk?" the old woman asked.

   Along with some coffee and a plate of cookies. That would be nice as well!

   "RUN!" I cried as I ran past the woman, flung open the door and jumped out of the cabin. Anna followed my trail, and we didn't turn back to check upon the woman.

   We ran into the woods, our footsteps thudding loudly all around. And then they all came.

   All those ghosts... This time they were all united. The little girl that I first saw in the forest, that boy and that woman along with some other people... Next to a tree stood Cathy, Swit standing a few feet away from her.

   They were all looking at us as if we were criminals on the run.

   We just didn't mind them and kept going. Even as sweat trickled down my face (the night was no longer chilly) and my T-shirt began sticking on to my back, I didn't stop. Nor did she.

   Finally, when we reached my home, I crashed onto a wall and then leaned against it, my hands on my knees as I struggled to breathe. Anna leant next to me, her heart banging wildly against her chest.

   When finally there was enough air in my lungs, I turned to her and asked, "Why the hell did we go to that cabin?"

   "Swit t-told me that... if a...anything went wrong, I should... go there with you," she panted.

   I put a hand on my chest - my heart was throbbing violently.

   "I'm going... I'll see you tomorrow," she said and began walking.

   "You fine going alone?" I called after her.

   "Yeah," she mumbled. "Good night, Chris!"

   Well, after everything that had happened, it sure as hell was a good night.

                                ***

   The next day was holiday too since classes were suspended for two days. I was one hundred percent sure that the police was going to hit a dead end and none of them would be interested in further investigation on Swit's murder, or so Anna believed. And I had a feeling that she could be right.

   Mom decided to go for work and take Irene with her. The effect of the stories I'd been telling her was getting to her; she really believed that the old couple that consumed children I told her about in my last story did exist.

   After breakfast, they went without sparing another minute but not before mom had had a brief talk with me.

   "Chris, honey, just a minute," she had said. She led me to the kitchen. She was biting her lip as if she was unsure of what she wanted to say.

   "Just don't tell Irene anymore scary stories at night, okay?" she finally exhaled, not meeting my eye.

   "That's fine, she has already asked me that," I said.

   "Did she? Nice of her... And... Hm... Nothing. We should better get going." She left without another word. As I watched the car accelerate into the road, I became sure of the fact that she'd wanted to tell me something... And it was definitely not what she'd just said.

   Just as I flopped onto my bed, my phone began ringing. I hoisted myself up lazily, and crawled into the other edge of the bed to take my phone.