Chapter 27: The Forbidden Ritual

"The Ritual of Reincarnation?" Andrea read out aloud.

"Yes. This is the only ritual that can bring the dead back to life!" said Aranchis.

She traced her fingers along the length of the page, with a curious expression on her face. "So what is required to perform this ritual?"

Aranchis was silent for a moment. "Blood."

Andrea looked at him questioningly. "Explain."

Aranchis took a heavy breath. "Once a soul leaves a body, it is not supposed to return. The soul can no longer thrive in the mortal world. However, by performing this ritual, we disturb the dead and summon them back to the mortal world, from wherever they are.

It is a violent act against nature and the soul once summoned has to be provided with proper accommodation. A shelter home. It can never possess its past body. It can only possess a body, born in the same bloodline as that of the past body. And not just any body, a body that is the rebirth of the deceased.

But this body will not be available soon. So it is imperative that till the body for the soul to dwell in is reformed, it must be protected. The blood of three innocent people are required for this. We summon one soul and sacrifice three in return."

"So," interrupted Andrea, "Are you saying that three people have to be killed?"

"Yes. It's the only way."

Andrea seemed to be thinking through it. She had the sole responsibility of protecting the empire. If she herself killed innocent people due to her selfishness...

"It's for the greater good. If Your Majesty refrain from doing this, the empire will soon be under George's grasp and all the subjects are going to suffer. It's better to sacrifice only three and save the rest," Aranchis said.

Andrea still found it difficult but he knew she would eventually consent.

~~~

"I don't care if I have to kill every last member of this empire! They all stood against me. They are going to pay for their sins," Amelia said through gritted teeth.

"So you are ready for it, dear?" asked Aranchis.

Amelia took a breath. "Yes."

Aranchis nodded his head in agreement. "You have to find and kill three people, one at a time, and collect their blood separately in crystal vials. I will provide the vials. Only after that can we proceed."

Amelia considered it and finally said, "The hunt begins tonight!"

"Remember," Aranchis suddenly said, "the blood should be collected by slitting their throats!"

~~~

Amelia's first victim was a small girl who was playing in a field. Her mother was working deep inside it. Amelia grabbed her by the throat and dragged her away and her mother, who was engrossed in her work, failed to notice it.

At her home, she tied up the flailing and crying child. Without wasting time, she slit the child's throat with a sharp knife that gleamed silver and drained her blood into one of the three crystal vials Aranchis had provided. The child reminded her of her own lost one but the desire to see him again killed every drop of kindness in her. After she had filled the vial, she mutilated the body by splitting it vertically and disemboweling it.

The child's mother went in search of her child once she became aware of the missing and eventually found herself staring at the remains. She ended up having the same fate as her child and their remains were buried deep inside the woods behind the church.