Chapter 10

"Alexandra?" a nurse calls for me at the pregnancy center. Ashley and I stand up and walk towards her, away from all the middle-aged pregnant women that were staring at the only two bikers in the room, us. "How are you today?"

"I'm good. I'm excited to hear the heartbeat and find out the due date," I say. 

"Well, we can certainly do that for you today. You two can follow me. Alexandra, you can take your shoes off and step on the scale," she instructs. I do as I'm told and I see a big 132 on the scale. I'm 132 pounds right now. I put my shoes back on and follow the nurse with Ashley to a room. "You can lay on here, and sir, you can sit over there."

Ashley sits in the chair, and I lay on the flat table/chair thing. I pull my shirt up, exposing my stomach. The nurse puts some blue gel on my stomach and before I know it, I hear a thumping coming from the screen. The black and white picture is blurry, but I can definitely see the baby that's growing inside of me. 

"It looks like you're about eight and a half weeks along, so that will put us in the middle of December. Let's put your due date on.... December 15. Christmas baby," she concludes. 

"Sweet," I say. I look at Ashley, who is smiling at the screen, looking at the little thing he helped create. I'm in awe. I'm creating that. That's my baby. 

"Looks like a boy," he jokes. 

"It's too early to tell, stupid," I shoot him a look. He laughs, thinking he's the funniest thing in the world. 

"I know. I'm just saying. I bet it's a boy." 

"We'll find out in a few months," I assure him. "I'm already looking forward to it," I turn to the nurse. 

"I'm sure you are," she laughs. We just sit and watch the baby for a few minutes before deciding it's time to go home. I hold Ashley's hand on the way out. We took my car, so I get into the driver's seat and we begin going to my house. 

"Are you gonna move to my house?" he asks.

"I'll start the transition when you guys go on tour. Okay?" I suggest.

"Sure, that'll be fine. You want me to help you pack?" 

"If you want," I shrug. 

"I want to help. I shall help," he says in a British accent. I laugh and shrug again. We get to my house and Andy's probably in his room packing. After all, they are leaving in like two days. 

"You wanna help me pack right now?" I ask.

"Yea. I'll get some boxes from the garage," he offers. He goes out to the garage and I go to Andy's room. 

"You gonna miss me or what?" I smile at him. He turns to look at me. 

"Of course I'm gonna miss you, Alex. You've been basically my sister for years and now you're leaving. It's gonna be strange not having you around," he says, pulling me into a hug. "You're gonna make a good mom. If you ever need anything, I'm always here, you know that."

"Okay. Thank you, Andy," I say. 

Ashley comes back with the boxes and we start with my dresser. Piles of black clothes fill up two boxes before we go to my closet. 

"You have a lot of dresses," Ashley admires.

"Yea. I wear them to special occasions," I say. "There's the one I wore to your party." I point to the dress. 

"It's not as pretty in the closet as it is on you," he smirks. 

"Oh stop it, Purdy. Put it in the box," I command. 

"Whatever you say, dear," he says in a sighing-husband voice. 

"Ash," I whine. "Just pack the boxes and we can get them to your place."

"Fine," he says. We put more dresses in boxes. I put my makeup, hair, and shower stuff in two boxes and stack them on top of the clothes. 

"Let's bring these down to the car and get them over to your house," I say.

"It's your house now, too," he sings. I smile at him and pick up a box of dresses. We bring them down to the car and begin filling up the trunk. 

"I'll see you tomorrow, Andy," I call as I bring the last box out to the car. 

"See you then," he says. 

"You nervous or excited?" Ashley asks me. 

"Both. It's gonna be weird being in a new place with a new person coming in December. I'm gonna be alone for most of it, too. I'm happy you're going on tour and all, it's just that it's a very inconvenient time for all this to be happening. I wish you could be here."

"I wish I could be here, too. It'll be okay. Even though I'm far away, I'll always be right here by your side. We'll get through this. I promise," he says. 

"Okay," I say sadly. We haven't even started the engine yet, and I'm already in tears. They begin to flow, and Ashley wraps his arms around me. 

"Hey, it's gonna be okay. I'm right here," he tries to calm me down. 

"This is so stressful," I cry. "I'm not ready for this!"

"We still have time to get ready. We have to be ready, whether it's a good time or not. We have to step it up and get ready to be parents," he says calmly. 

"I know, it's just.. this couldn't have come at a worse time. It's not fair." My cries begin to turn into sobs. "I'm not cut out to be a mom, Ashley. I can barely take care of myself!"

"We can do this. Together. I'm gonna be as good of a dad as I can, and you're gonna be as good of a mom as you can. We both have roles that we have to prepare for. In there," he puts his hand on my stomach. "Is the start of our family."