Chapter 13

"How are we gonna find out the gender of the baby?" Ashley asks after the show. "We're on the road all the time."

"I'll stop at different pregnancy centers along the way. We'll make sure everything is going okay. Besides, we have a few months to go. A little over 3, to be exact," I say. 

"Good," he smiles.

"Where's our next stop?" I ask.

"Albuquerque, New Mexico. Then, Phoenix, Arizona," he says. 

"I'll need a list of all the dates and locations so I can set up doctor's appointments." He pulls out a sheet of paper with all the info. "Thanks."

I go off to my bunk towards the back of the bus, leaving Ashley alone. I lay down and stare at the ceiling, wondering what the next few months will hold. Tour is busy, loud, and not really the place for a pregnant woman. It's barely a place for a grown man to live. What have I done?  What have I done? What have I...?

"Alex!" Andy shakes me awake. "Are you okay?"

"What?" I ask, confused.

"You were talking in your sleep. You kept saying 'no, no, no' for almost twenty minutes. What happened?" he says. 

"I don't know... it was just a nightmare. Don't worry about me."

"Ashley is worried sick. He wants you to go sleep with him for the night," Andy protests.

"He can come get me if he wants me. I'm fine, I swear," I shoot back. 

"I want you," Ashley says, coming to me. He grins. 

"Ha ha. There is not enough room for the two of us. Go back to your bed, I'll see you in the morning," I kiss him, hinting for him to go the fuck away and let me sleep. 

"Fine. Wake me up if you get up before me," he says.

"I will," I say, trying to appease him. Andy and Ashley go back to their bunks and I roll over, trying to fall back asleep. 

The next morning

I get up before Ashley, but I don't wake him up. Instead, I go sit on the couch and look at the list of dates. I decide to make an appointment with a doctor in Kansas City, Missouri. That's next week. I look up pregnancy centers near the venue, and I find one that's only about four miles away. I call the number provided and make the appointment for 3:45 in the afternoon. 

We're still driving through different towns, so I open a curtain and watch out the window after making some coffee. 

"Morning, sunshine," Ashley says, coming to sit next to me. "Why didn't you wake me up?"

"You were so peaceful," I smile, kissing his cheek.

"Aww. I love you," he says, kissing me.

"I love you too," I say. "I will always love you."

"You better. You're pregnant with my kid."

I laugh and lay on his chest, hearing his heart beating steadily. He runs his fingers through my hair and kisses the top of my head. 

There is no place that I would rather be.. There is no place that could be better than this... 

I wake up, still laying on Ashley. I sit up slowly, and rub my eyes. 

"Good morning, sleeping beauty," Andy laughs. "How early did you get up the first time?"

"Probably around seven. I have no idea," I shrug. I look at Ashley, who looks at me with a surprised look on his face. "What?" I ask. 

"You're a cute sleeper," he says. 

"I've slept with you before, Purdy. Don't act so surprised," I raise my eyebrows. 

"Brush your hair!" CC chimes in. "It looks like something died up there." 

"Probably my soul," I shrug.

"Better not be that kid," Jinxx mutters. 

"Damn right," I say. I get up and go to the bathroom, looking in the mirror. 

"Holy fucking shit," I say. 

"Told you!" CC says. 

I pick up a comb and begin picking at the knot on the side of my head. Ashley comes into the bathroom and takes the comb out of my hand.

"Let me help," he insists. 

"Go for it," I say, letting him have a try. With ease, Ashley begins picking out the knot and my hair is smooth in a half minute. He looks with me in the mirror and sticks his tongue out.

"Told you," he says. 

"That you did," I laugh. 

"You wanna know something?" he whispers in my ear.

"What?" I whisper.

"You don't look pregnant at all," he smiles.

"Obviously. I'm not far enough along to have a baby bump," I raise my eyebrows. His face goes a little bit red. I laugh at him and drag him out of the bathroom with me. I go back to the couch, Ashley trailing behind me. We sit down and Jinxx looks at my hair.

"Much better," he says, giving the thumbs-up.

"As if I'm trying to impress you," I say sarcastically. 

"No, but you're trying to impress someone else," he snickers. I blush as Ashley kisses my forehead. 

"Get a goddamn room," Andy sighs, as if he's been saying it for years. 

"Get used to it," I say, kissing Ashley. 

"Andy, stop being such a pussy," CC laughs. Andy shoots him a glare. I get up and hug Andy. 

"Uncle Andy," I whisper. He can't help but smile. 

"Aww," he says. "I'm not gonna lie, I'm excited."

"You better be," I joke. 

"You and Ash are gonna be great parents," he says. 

"Thanks," I say. Ashley gives him a thumbs-up. "When are we gonna be in New Mexico?" 

"About an hour, that's all. Then, we've got a lot to do when we get there. There's a lot that has to be done before a show," Andy says.

"I know. How long does it take to set up the merch table?"

"It depends on how fast you go and how good you want it to look. Usually about a half hour," he says. 

"Okay."

"Make me proud, babe," Ashley smirks. 

"Of course," I say. "Always."