Anniversary

Once again I knocked on the Goodman's door.

...

Gee, they're taking a while, Mum knocked this time.
"Where are they?" She asked.

"Is their car here?" I asked. Mum checked.

"Yeah, they knew we were coming. Jackie! Martin!" She shouted.

"I'll check the side door" I went around to the kitchen and found it unlocked. I entered the kitchen and witnessed a half naked Martin listening to the radio full blast while replacing the bin. He and Aunty Jack were singing. I tapped on his shoulder and he flinched so hard he hit my arm.

"Bloody hell! You scared the shitting crap out of me Viv" Martin yelled. I stopped myself from laughing at his jiggly belly.

"Martin! Don't talk like that to Vivian. Sorry love, where's mum?" She gave me a kiss.

"At the front" I went to open the door. Aunty Jack rushed to the door and apologised to Mum. Looks like the boys are arriving. Last time I saw them I had to kiss Jonny, which actually brought flashbacks to when we were 11, Adam dared us to kiss so we did, otherwise, I would have gotten punched in the arm.

"Go on, give her a kiss" Mum teased Jonny and me. She had her camera out, why don't these guys use phones?
I stepped back as he came near, forgetting that tonight was supposed to be our anniversary dinner. The things I do for these boys. I gave Jonny a kiss for the crowd and everyone awed. I can't believe Adam is still with this girl, she's already added me on facebook and 'persisting' that I change my relationship status, luckily I have some self-control and ignore those who are annoying.

"The house looks wonderful mum, look, sweetie, flowers everywhere" Jonny pointed around the room and there was indeed an assortment of tulips, roses, daisys and petunias all over the place, Jonny opened the bathroom and there were some more.

"Banners too," I commented on the big white sheet which said 'Happy Anniversary Jonny + Viv', "I'm assuming Martin produced this masterpiece" I observed the still wet blue paint.

"Or a three-year-old" Jonny commented in my ear. I smiled instead of laughing.

"Your father worked very hard on that Jonny" Aunty Jack smacked him on the shoulder, "now kids, into the living room I haven't finished the roast yet. Val, join me in the kitchen" she spoke like she had gossip.

"Where's your dad?" Donna asked me...I'm assuming. She just kind of spoke aloud.

"Um," I started.

"Viv's dad passed away a while ago" Adam spoke softly. I nodded.

"Oh, so your mum remarried" Donna is quite observant. I don't exactly have Larry's balding red hair or turkey neck passed onto me.

"Yeah, Larry is the current husband" I replied, it was silent for a little bit. I tapped my finger on the couch a few times, "who wants a drink?" I asked as I stood up.

"Oh, I'll have one, champagne?" Donna's request shocked all of us, "aren't we having it anyway to celebrate?"

I walked out, Jonny followed.
"Alright, Mr. Morris" Jonny commented. I rolled my eyes.

"What is her problem? Why is she so..." I trailed, I couldn't find the words.

"I know right" Jonny and I walked into the kitchen. I grabbed the glasses while he raided the pantry, grabbing some whipped cream.

"Jonny stop eating all the cream!" Aunty Jack told him off, we both laughed.

"Do you think she'll notice the difference between Pasito and champagne?" I asked the general area.