CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR: BELIEVE ME

"What the hell was that Jo? Are you insane? Do you need me to smack some sense-"

"Grayson you don't understand." My...mom left the room a couple minutes ago. I want to tell Gray my plan but she could be listening. 

"Don't understand what?! Did you hear what you are saying Hanna? I know she lied to you and you lived your life believing certain things but come on, you shouldn't want to die!"

"You will never get me Grayson so leave it!"

"NO!"

The door opens again and Ethan walks in with trays. He places one beside Grayson and one beside me. Gray and I remain silent waiting for Ethan to leave, but he doesn't. Instead, he sits in the middle of the room.

"Come on, eat," he says waiting for us to. 

"I don't trust this," Grayson say's kicking his tray away from him. "Johanna, don't even think about it."

"But I am hungry," I say looking down at the macaroni and cheese, juice, and chewy bar that is on my plate. Of course I won't eat it but now I have to act a certain way. 

"I SWEAR YOU BETTER NOT EAT THAT FOOD!" Grayson yells from his side of the room.

"FINE! If it makes you happy," I say. Thankfully I don't have to eat this. I do not trust this either. 

I look up at Ethan and stare at him. He looks at me. "Jo, you aren't going to eat you food?"

I do not respond, I just continue looking at him. He turns his head and looks at Grayson. 

"Gray, why aren't you-"

"Shut up!" Gray yells. 

*Beep* 

Ethan looks at the camera and gets all nervous. 

"Okay guys you have to believe me. It is actually me and we are running out of time. We need to get out of here and escape. Johanna I know where Wesley is, I can get him. You two need to leave."

I look at him once again not knowing if I should believe him or not. 

"Johanna do you believe this?" Gray asks me. I slowly get to my feet and so does Gray. 

"Ethan," I whisper. 

"Han please," Ethan says walking towards me. 

"Stop," I say to him making him stop. "If this is really you, what happened that night?"

"What night?"

"The night I found you two in the forest. You were hurt and I felt your pain. What happened?" I knew this was the perfect question to ask because Grayson was there and would be able to tell if he was lying or not. 

He turns and looks at Grayson. 

"She ain't asking me bro. Don't look at me for answers," Gray says. 

He turns and looks at me with a worried face. 

"We felt danger coming, it was coming for sure. We were sent to that town to find you from Wesley and when we got there we were expected that you would not know who we were. HE told us where you were in our dreams and we left right away. Someone was messing with you and Wesley couldn't come get you because he was here. That night we wanted to protect you so we ran to were we felt the source of danger coming from. We saw a dark figure but we could not make out their face. Later, I found out it was... it was your mother. She jumped me and punched me in the face. I couldn't fight back because I was so weak. Grayson was not there because we split up. She left without hurting Grayson because... I guess she knew you would come and seeing me hurt would be enough damage." 

I can't believe my mom did this to Ethan. She was coming for me and hurting Ethan would be okay since he was close to me. 

"Gray is that true," I say looking at him. I see him in tears. He wipes his nose and nods his head up and down. 

"Grayson you know that it's me," Ethan says. 

"You inserted a needle into my neck, you brought us here."

"She was watching," Ethan says back. I could tell that he is sorry. 

"She isn't watching right now?" I ask. 

"No, look at the camera. I went into her office and shut them down. She won't notice since she is preparing the main room."

"Main room, for what?" I ask.

"Your execution, but don't worry. We are going to get out of here."

"I don't know if I can believe you," I say back. "With all the lies I lived through and these loss memories I still have, I don't know if I can trust what you are saying. Who knows, maybe you are tricking us." 

He walks slowly towards me. "When I met you we were just turning 6. Just off the first day I met you, I told Grayson I liked you. When we were 8 I sucked at everything subject so you tutored me. You helped me pass all my classes and was happy to do so. That's when my little heart learned what love was. I also told Grayson I wanted you to be my wife and he told me I was ridiculous because you were to good for me. It was true. Even at a young age you already knew how to care for others, how to love and respect. You were adventurous, outgoing-"

"Stop," I whisper. 

"- I had to build up the courage to ask you out but I wanted to wait for the perfect time. I asked Wesley first and he told me that I was to young. You knew I loved you but you didn't make things awkward between us. I kissed you. We were-"

"13," I whisper back. "You were my first kiss."

"Han, it's me," he says back. I can hear Grayson sobbing in that back. 

Ethan comes up to me and I wrap my left arm around him. He wraps his around my waist. I don't want to moment to end. This is really him. I finally found him. 

"We need to go," he says letting go of me. "Now."