Outbreak - One

This officially sucks!

Why dad had to get a promotion which forced us to move, I'll never know. Why couldn't he just be the manager in the office he was already in? I might not have been particularly happy where we were, but I had a few good friends, there was always loads to do in the city, and I was just about getting by in school...

Now I'm stuck here, in a place where I don't know a single person, in a bedroom that doesn't really feel like mine, just waiting for something to happen. I never thought I'd be one of those people wishing the summer holidays away, and yet here I am doing just that. The thought of starting a new school isn't something I'm exactly relishing, but how else am going to make any damn friends?

I'm so bored.

I turn my head away from the TV screen and gaze outside at the village my mom described as 'quaint'. I might not enjoy the view very much, but the sun is shining, and I hate wasting hot days inside, so I decide on impulse to head out for a walk. We've already lived here for five days and I don't know this town at all. Is it weird to go out for a walk by yourself? Well, it's not like I have much choice either way. There's certainly no one to walk with me.

I hop up off the bed, quickly glance at the dark messy bun piled on the top of my head in the mirror, before deciding that it doesn't really matter how I look, as long as I'm outside. Anything has to be better than this!

My parents don't notice me leave, despite the fact that I thunder noisily down the stairs and I slam the door loudly behind me as I go. Dad's on the phone to his new office—arguing with one of his new colleagues—and mom's still constantly rearranging the house, trying to get it right. She can be so nuts about cleaning sometimes, it drives me mad. I'm glad they're so self-obsessed though, it means I can get on with what I want to do.

I walk through the small streets, pretending to admire the 'sweet' shops this tiny village has to offer, all the while confirming that living in a large, smoky city was so much better. Me and my few friends used to wander around the clothes and music shops for hours trying to find something cool and unique to buy, but there's not much chance of that here. All that's on offer is tacky gifts and local produce. This really could be the crappiest place ever.

I know there's a beach around here somewhere—mum kept harping on about it when she was pretending to be excited about the move. "Ooh won't it be lovely to live near a beach? We can just go whenever we like." Although I know for a fact that she'll never set foot on the sand, I might as well. I don't exactly have anything better to do. I just need to work out which direction to head in...

It takes me a little while to locate this so-called beach, and as soon as I do, I regret the wasted time. What a letdown! It's small, grey and full of seaweed. It doesn't look anything like the beaches you see in photos—all white sands and glistening blue sea. I feel the last glimmer of hope ebb away as I stare at the landscape in front of me realizing that at this rate, I'm not going to enjoy living here at all.

Miserable and still feeling incredibly lonely, I plonk my butt down onto the sand. There are a few families running in and out of the sea, playing and enjoying the nice weather together, and I can't help wishing that I was part of them. A brother or sister would have been perfect right about now—a ready-made companion to endure this hell with.

Then, as I scan the area, just drinking it all in, my eyes happen upon him. My heart actually stops dead in my chest as I see him, my breath catches in my throat as I trail my gaze all over his body. I don't know who he is, but he's instantly made everything better.

The most perfect looking boy in the world.