Quarantine - Eight

I flick absentmindedly through the names in my phone, trying to find someone that I can actually speak to about this. I've tried, I've really tried so hard to do this by myself, but I think I'm too close. I need the outside perspective of someone who knows what they're talking about but isn't staring the virus in the face every damn day.

Weirdly, that's a lot harder than it probably should be.

Pam...Rose...Ryan...

Wait! Ryan.

Ryan Hamlin, a guy I went to medical school with, a man I worked with at the hospital for a few years before I transferred to the special medical facility, a guy that I've been in love with from afar forever.

I pause on his name for a moment, remembering the first day that I met him. He wandered into the classroom with such a confident swagger that absolutely everyone turned around to face him. He had dark brown wavy hair, crinkly hazelnut eyes, and a smile to die for. He had command of the room from that very moment, and every moment since.

It's safe to say that I was in love right away.

I was always quiet, always shy. I blended into the background automatically, so everything about Ryan cried out to me. He had everything that I didn't, it was like we were jigsaw pieces that fit perfectly together to make one whole person.

The only problem was he had a girlfriend, and not just any girlfriend, Christy. The most beautiful woman that I have ever laid eyes on. Tall, curvy, platinum blonde, sparkling eyes...she wasn't the opposite to Ryan, she way similar. They were like a glossy, celebrity couple that everyone was jealous of, including me.

Especially me.

A friendship didn't form until we started working together, and by then we were far too busy to get together. I had heard at one point that Christy wasn't around anymore, but I never did anything about it. I always assumed that I lost my chance.

When I told Ryan that I was going to work at the specialist medical facility he was gutted. He wanted to join me, but he was on the verge of getting a promotion that he really didn't want to risk missing out on. I never did bother to call him to see if he got it...that was wrong of me.

I bite down on my bottom lip and clutch my phone tightly to my chest for a second. Can I call him now? Would it be wrong to contact him only because I need something? I mean, that isn't the only reason I wish to speak to him, now that I'm thinking about him I realize how much I've missed his voice. He's the perfect person to ask for advice, plus this gives us an excuse to reconnect.

Maybe the time apart will have made him realize just how much he misses me too. Maybe absence will have made the heart grow fonder and something will finally happen. Maybe. I can dream anyway.

Ring, ring... Ring, ring...

My heart beats faster as I wait for Ryan to answer. I feel that childish excitement that can only come from having a crush. After the headache I've given myself over the last few days, this thrill is intoxicating. I need more of it.

"Hello?"

Ah, his chocolaty voice makes me melt inside. How have I managed to survive so long without him? It feels utterly impossible now.

"Hi, Ryan. It's Katie..."

"Katie!" His glee spikes more delicious excitement into me. "Where are you? Why aren't you here? It's Dossie's birthday, why aren't you out with us?"

"Dossie? Surgeon Dossie? I didn't realize." If I was working at the hospital as normal, I would be out with all of them. There's no way I would've missed such an event. I feel a pang in my chest, a wistfulness for things that could've been. I was so keen to work in the facility, I thought it would be an awesome jump in my career. Now though, I just miss things being normal. "Where are you guys? Should I come and join you?" I know I have something that I need to do, but to be totally honest the idea of blowing off some steam is all too appealing.

"The Bell, come now. I would love to see you."

Something in his voice hints to me that he really would like to see me, and that fills me with a huge sense of confidence. I'm going to see Ryan, I'm going to get him to help me, and if I'm feeling extremely brave, then maybe I'll kiss him too.

The way things are going at the moment, anything is possible!