Crackdown - Seven

"How are you doing, Katie?" I ask her kindly while sliding some food into her cell. I never know how she's going to react to my presence; sometimes she's really happy to see me and we have a nice time together, but there are darker times when she can't seem to stand me or anyone else. "Are you feeling any better today?"

She offers me a one-shouldered shrug and slides across the room to greet me. As the thin strips of light hit her, I spot a small smile playing on her gaunt face which allows relief to flood through me. She's happy, that's the main thing, that alone will get me through the rest of this challenging day. Whenever Katie has anything like a nice expression on her face, I get a glimpse of the person she was before all of this started, and that person is the most beautiful person that I've ever known. Inside as well as out. Through all the grime and stress, plus the oversized sweater that swamps her frame I can tell that she's stunning and that she has a good heart.

Okay, I'll be honest, I have a crush on her. I know it's inappropriate but it's been building for a while. I can't seem to help it. She's the complete opposite of Marie, but I think that might be what I need to keep me going. Having someone to care for has done absolute wonders for me.

There are times when I think she might feel the same way, during her better days. We've had some really nice times together, sharing picnic food and watching movies, during which I swear she might even want to kiss me. I don't want to push her though because I don't want her to hate me when she's low. This isn't the time or place to be starting anything new and I really don't think Katie has her head in the right place either.

I'm just lucky that she isn't infected so I don't have to lose her completely.

"I erm, I got you something today," I tell her while a redness tinges my cheeks. "It isn't much, I just...I found it in one of the store windows along this road while I was out..." I don't want to finish that sentence. If I tell her about clearing out the infected that've been gathering around the police station, it'll send her spinning right backwards once more. It always does, anytime anyone mentions the AM13 virus. "I thought you might like it."

It's a small, delicate-looking chain with a little star on the end. Katie has been my shining start through all of this and I want her to know. I guess this is my way of telling her without using the words. It's the coward's way out.

"You shouldn't have done that," she replies sharply, folding her arms across her chest. "That's not right, you shouldn't have got me anything. I don't deserve it."

"Yes, you do," I plead while holding it out to her. "Everyone deserves nice things these days, we all have to get through this somehow."

"Not me." Her expression darkens as her mood grows increasingly sullen. I shouldn't have done this. Then again, it's difficult to know right from wrong these days, it seems to change so rapidly. "I messed up, I caused this, I don't get to have nice things. Not when so many people are dying. It isn't right." She gestures wildly. "I should be out there, not locked away safely in here."

"Katie, we've had this conversation before." I do what I can to keep my voice calm and considerate, despite all the pent-up frustration. "You didn't create this virus, you didn't kill anyone, you don't deserve to die. I know you didn't cure this like you wanted to, but that doesn't mean all hope is lost. Someone must be out there doing something about this."

"I need to get to the hospital. I need to see if anyone is there." She gives me a desperate look, one that tugs at every single one of my heart strings. "Maybe one of my friends is doing something. I know you said the hospital was overrun, but what if it isn't?"

"Katie, I don't think..."

"No, I know you don't think I'm right. That's why I need to be the one to do this." There's a mania in her gaze that I really don't trust one bit. I can't let Katie do this, I cannot risk losing her now, no way. "I need to leave and check. I'll never know until I check."

I cling onto Katie's shoulders and I stare deeply into her eyes. As I do, it hits me hard how much I really do care about her. I don't even really know her that well, only the bits and pieces that she's told me when she's had a good day, yet my emotions run deep. I might even love her. I don't want to get ahead of myself when my feelings might just be developing due to the stressful situation, but I think it could be love.

I couldn't save Marie, however hard I tried, I've already lost one love. I don't want to lose another.

"I'll go," I declare softly, desperately hoping this will be enough. "I'll go to the hospital the next time I'm out on a supply run and I'll check for you."

Katie flicks her gaze between each eye as if she's trying to find a hint of a lie. There isn't one, I would do absolutely anything for her, which soon she must see.

"Thank you," she whispers. "You have no idea what that means to me."

Then she turns and she lifts her hair off her neck, allowing me to clasp the chain around her. There's something about this simple action that allows me to claim her as my own. It's beautiful, in this horrifying situation which is getting worse by the day, I've managed to grab a second of happiness.

I spin Katie around and I press my lips up against hers for just a second, making this most of this delicious glorious moment, before taking a step back.

"I will do this for you, Katie, and I'll do it because I'm in love with you."