Outbreak - Nineteen

"Zac!" I exclaim, once I'm totally certain that it's him. He doesn't look his best, but then again nor do I so I cannot judge. "Oh my God, Zac, I'm so glad that you're here."

The relief at seeing a familiar face is almost too much to handle. I race over to him and toss my arms around his neck, with tears pricking at my eyes. I've never felt so alone in my life, so it feels wonderful to have someone who cares about me here...

But as soon as our skin connects, I get a terrible sense of something wrong. Zac's skin is unbearably hot, I can hear a desperate wheezing coming from his chest, and he's not hugging me back.

I step back and peer intently at him, and the truth instantly hits me hard, like a thump in the face. I've been so excited to see Zac again, I was so grateful to see a face that I knew, that I didn't understand what was happening to him.

He has it, he has this virus coursing through his veins, consuming him, eating him whole.

"Oh, Zac," I gasp, as my hand claps across my mouth. "Oh no, I'm so sorry this has happened to you."

I don't know how far along in the process he is, to be honest all the information that I learned about the virus is gone now, my brain is horrifyingly blank.

Zac stares at me, his head cocked to one side as he drinks all of me in. I know what he's capable of, or at least what he will be capable of, but I can't move. Zac in this state represents everything that's going on, and I can't stop looking however hard I try.

I stare.

Zac stares.

Neither of us moves, speaks, or hardly breathes. This standoff cannot end well, but considering it feels like all of time has stopped around us, it feels like the most natural thing in the world.

I like you, Zac, I think pointlessly in my mind. I never understood what you were doing with me, but I've always liked you nonetheless. You were my first kiss, I will always remember you..

More time flies past, I have no idea how much, I'm only sure because the tremble in my hand is becoming more violent, and Zac's face looks sweatier than before.

Thump, thump.

Thump, thump.

Thump, thump.

My heart beats louder and faster, sensing that something is about to change, and it's right. Actually it's more right than I knew it could be, because three things happen all at once.

Zac dives for me, loud bangs ring out from every angle, and everything goes black...