Outbreak - Twelve

Why is it just when you think things can't get any worse, they instantly do?

I finally had a lightbulb moment, and realized the best thing I could do was talk to Emma. She seems to have a lot of knowledge on both the subjects of my problemsZac and the virusand I think we're friends, right? If anyone can help me right now, it's her.

Luckily she's easy to find on Facebook, and also free to meet up for a chat, which puts my mind at ease.

"So," she peers at me curiously after we've been doing the whole 'small talk' thing for ten minutes. "What's going on with you? I get the impression that there's something you wish to discuss."

I sigh deeply, knowing that there's no point in arguing when she's right, and I launch into my issues, tackling the easiest one first. "Well, I know you told me to avoid Zac because he's a player, but it's been really difficult because he keeps showing up at my house." I blush as she gives me a knowing look. "But the weird thing is it hasn't even been like that really. I mean, we kissed once, but it's been more of a strange friendship thing."

"Hmm, that is weird," she muses. "I don't know what to say about that. Of all the things I know about Zac, I've never known him be friends with a girl." She taps her chin as she thinks this through. "He usually kisses, then moves on without looking back."

My belly churns, I can feel bile rising in my throat, I don't know what she's going to say next and that scares the living hell out of me.

"I don't want to be presumptuous, but I think he might actually like you," she eventually stuns me to my core by answering. "I can't think why else he wouldn't be able to let you go, and why he'd always be making the first moves."

My heart flutters, a happiness swirled around in my chest, I can't stop my lips from twisting up into a grin. Much as everything else sucks, at least this is good news.

"Yeah, yeah," I do my best to act like I'm not getting my hopes up too high. "Maybe you're right."

We walk in silence for a few moments, both of us lost in our own thoughts, so much so that it actually takes me a while to recall the other issue I need Emma's opinion on. The one I really don't want to talk about, but that I have to.

"So, there is something else," I admit cautiously. "And I would love it if you'd keep an open mind while I tell you about it."

"Sure, anything you say." She gives me a smile that's so reassuring, I have to continue.

"Well, it's...erm, my dad. He...he isn't himself." My face flames, my heart aches, my mouth runs dry with terror. "I think he might be sick. Like really sick."

At first Emma gasps loudly, then the color totally drains from her cheeks and she begins panting. I want to reach out and touch her, to try and calm her down but that's impossible when I'm such a hot mess myself. "He...he's sick. Like, virus sick?" I can only nod to that as my eyes brim with tears. "But the quarantine. That'll happen soon, really soon. Why haven't you sent him to a hospital yet? If he doesn't go, if he changes while you're locked in the house with him, then...then..."

She doesn't need to finish that sentence, I already know where she's headed with it. "I know, but I'm scared. What if he has to go through horrible tests? What if he doesn't make it out alive?"

Emma grabs onto my arms and stares deeply into my eyes. "Rae, if you don't, he could very well kill you, your mom too. This isn't a case of being sensitive, its life or death."

Life and death...what could be more dramatic than that?