One Year On - Seventeen (Rachael)

Rachael

"Alex," I whisper to him, so quietly the word barely comes out. "I'm scared."

He shoots me a look but doesn't answer, which I don't know how to take. He must feel the same heart pounding sensation that I do, there's no way that he can be here right now and be just fine. It seemed like a good idea when we broke into the leader's meeting room, but now I'm not so sure.

The conversation in there has me fearing for my life. I wish I wasn't listening to it.

Death, murder, blackmail.

It's all going on here. Everything bad, the worst things of humanity that I didn't dare worry about. Things I haven't ever experienced before despite all the camps that I've been to. When I started on this mission with Alex, I assumed it would be a good way for us to connect with one another, I thought there could potentially be something there, I didn't think we would actually find something out.

Things I don't want to know.

I slide my eyes closed as booming laughter bursts from that room, scaring the living hell out of me. It's such a nasty, evil sound it chills me to the bone. I want to run. But run far. I don't just want to race back to my house here, I want to take Olivia and Alex and get the hell out of here. I want to warn Oliver too, so he can get all our crew out of here. I don't want anyone to be on the horrible receiving end of this.

"Did he just say 'skinned alive'?" I ask Alex as vomit fills my mouth. "We need to go."

He doesn't move right away though. He seems so determined to get information that he's willing to put himself at risk. Me too.

I grab his hand and pull it, ignoring the fluttery sensation that runs up my arm. That must just be more of the sheer terror.

"Alex, we need to go. I need to go."

This isn't a game anymore. This is all too real and I hate it.

In the end, I stand up by myself and tiptoe away, heading towards the door so I can exit this building, but I don't get far enough. There's a deep pull in my chest, a yearning that wants to protect Alex as much as myself. I can't seem to help it. I barely know the guy yet he's affected me in a way that overwhelms me.

I need him. I don't know why but I do.

"Alex!" I hiss. "Alex, please. Don't get us both killed."

He glances at me but barely acknowledges me. It's as if I don't really exist. I don't know what the hell I'm going to do.

"Alex, I...I'm leaving."

I move some more, but still he doesn't come. I'm almost about to give up when the door flies open and we don't have any choice. We have to run as fast as we can to keep our lives intact.