Crackdown - Eighteen

I feel much better with this group by my side, even if at least one of them isn't keen about it. I'm not too sure Jordan will stick around once everything gets settled, but for now he'd rather be with people than alone. I don't trust him fully, but he's here now so I'm making the best of it.

"We need to find somewhere to take everyone," I remind them all, but I speak to Rhys specifically. He's the most reasonable of all of them. "Then we can figure out a way back."

"Yeah, I agree." He nods defiantly. "No point in dragging everyone out with nowhere to go."

I can tell he wants to make up for leaving, which is sweet. But I do understand why they left, since things aren't getting better and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight, we need to take action. That prison won't hold us forever as shown by what happened afterwards.

"I think I saw a warehouse one time where out on a scouting mission. I didn't bother to look in it because it made car parts, or something else we can't possibly need now, but maybe it'll work as a stop gap. Even somewhere we can stay for a few days will help. I don't feel comfortable with everyone stuck in the prison surrounded by infected."

It isn't ideal, I'd much rather have something permanent but events have changed and we need to be smart. The longer I leave Katie, the more at risk she becomes.

"Show us the way."

We move in silence as I show Rhys and the others the way. Thankfully, we don't encounter too many virus victims on the way but that's because most of the ones around here are at the prison, so it isn't that much of a relief after all. It gnaws at me, speeding me on, reminding me what's at risk here.

"What are we going to do now?" Rhys asks nervously once I point to the building. "How do we deal with it? Like, what if there are...I don't know, infected or people inside?"

I offer him a one-shouldered shrug, not convinced either of those things will happen. To show some leadership I take a bold step forward and swing the door open. I'm on high alert, a state I've always been when going into a strange new building, but that's extra today. I'm acutely aware of all the lives in my protection here.

"Hello?" I call inside, looking more for the undead than anything else. "Hello?"

I don't hear anything, not even the shuffling of feet, so I presume everything is okay. I look towards Rhys and the others who are all cowering behind me. Well, aside from Jordan who's rolling his eyes, acting like all of this is a big joke to him. I roll my eyes and ignore his attitude.

"I'm going inside," I tell them all. "You wait here. I'll be back in a moment."

"Don't you want back up?" I shake my head. "Are you sure? I don't like you going in there alone..."

"I'll be fine. Just...maybe come in if you hear me screaming." I try to say this as a joke but I guess the memory of Enrico is much too real. "I'll call you in if it's safe."

My heart pounds like a jackhammer as I take tentative steps inside. I don't know why but all of a sudden, there's an iciness to my spine, a cold chill racing through me. I feel uneasy, like something bad is about to happen. I curl my fingers around the cold metal of my gun and keep walking. I have to keep going, no matter what. Even if I feel like I might be sick...

Think of Katie, I remind myself. And everyone else. They all need me to be strong.

But I can't shake off the feeling that something's about to happen, something scary. It encases me and makes me physically shake, just a little bit.

"Holy..." I cry out as something moves in the shadows. Something's coming for me, and it's too fast to be an infected. That terrifies me, the undead I understand, but the living not so much. I'd like to think everyone is good and can be trusted, but that might not be the case. "Who's there?"

Tick, tick, tick.

I can almost hear the seconds passing while I wait for a response.

"There's no point in hiding. I've already seen you."

"I'm not hiding," a quiet voice comes back. "Not really. I'm just a little freaked out."

I furrow my brows, confused. "Why?"

"Are you from the camp?"

"Camp?" I step forwards, trying to keep my feet silent. "What camp?"

"The refugee camp. Are you a part of it?"

Refugee camp? That sounds like something set up officially, potentially by the Government. That has to be good news, if there's a collective place where everyone's staying, we might really be able to get some answers. At long last! This is perfect, exactly what we need.

"I don't know anything about any camp, but I'd like to."

"You haven't heard about it on the radio?"

"We don't even have a radio," I admit to the stranger in the shadows. "I should've thought of that."

"Well, it doesn't matter anyway." His tone turns harsh. "It's impossible to get to, so dangerous. I lost everyone."

My heart bleeds for him, I can hear the pain lacing his tone and it's a feeling I know all too well.

"I'm sorry to hear that," I tell him sadly. "We've all lost people too. But maybe if we work together we can get to this place. I know you haven't had success before, but there isn't anything else in the world now is there. It's hell. We might as well try, don't you think?"

My words do something to the guy and he eventually reveals himself. He looks dirty, dishevelled, weary, he's covered in grime and blood proving how much he's been through.

"We can try. I don't see why not, there isn't anything else to do. I certainly don't have anything else to live for now I've lost everyone else, but are you really willing to take that risk?"

I nod decidedly. "We don't have any other choice either. This is the only way we can live."

"Danny," he says while sticking his hand out to me. I take it and shake it.

"Oliver," I reply. "Now, let's do this."