Outbreak - Five

I don't want to do anything the next morning, my aching body is far too tired, my eyes can barely open a crack, the night hanging out on the beach with the love of my life is now absolutely crushing me...

Yet a lie in isn't going to happen, however much I need it.

"Come on, Rae," Mom screams exasperatedly at me. "Get up! You know we have the meeting at your new school. Don't be so damn lazy."

That's almost enough to have me yelling back. If I felt any less worn out I'd be telling her that she hasn't paid enough attention to me since we've moved to start calling me names, but I really can't be bothered. An array of grunts burst past my lips, but that's about it.

"I don't exactly want to waste my morning meeting the new head teacher either," she continues, while tossing ugly combinations of clothes at me. "Not when you probably won't be starting school for a few months anyway. I'd much rather be getting ready for this quarantine..."

"Huh?" Okay, that statement was odd, even by Mom's standards, so I swing my legs to the ground and stare up at her with as much contempt as I can muster. "What the hell are you on about?"

"You know, the quarantine. Don't you ever watch the news? The virus? Oh my God, Rae. I keep telling you to pull your head out your backside..."

"Mom, I need to get ready," I tell her as firmly as I can. "Please just leave me be for now."

I chuck all the awful clothes she's handed me on the floor and shoot her a dreadful look. I do not have time for Mom and her obsessiveness today. She's always been this way, I don't think she'll ever change, but today I can't even humor her. I'm just too tired...

***

It doesn't take long for my brand new head teacher to work out what I could've easily told her if she'd bothered to ask: that I'm a very tedious, average student. Not particularly good at anything, but not terrible either. Distinctly in the middle.

"Okay, so I think I know where we can place you," she smiles a little too brightly at me, really welcoming me. "But for now would you like to meet one of the students that's already on site? She's sorting some stuff out in the drama department. It might be nice for you to get to know someone before you start."

"Yeah, sure." I get the distinct impression that it's easier to just agree than to mention Zac. Plus, I want to learn more about my mysterious guy, and I wouldn't say no to a brand new friend. "Thank you."

As we wander towards the drama studio, I try to adjust to this odd, cold building. I try to accept it as my new school, the place I'll spend more time than anywhere else, but it isn't happening. I guess familiarity won't flow through me until I actually become a fully-fledged student.

"Okay, so Emma is in there. Do you mind if I take your Mom to see the inspection reports?"

"Erm, no, that's fine." I don't really like the idea of leaving my mom alone with anyone, especially not when she's got all this craziness in her brain, but the question didn't really leave me room to say no. "See you in a bit."

I tentatively push the door open to reveal a red headed figure hunched over a prop on the massive expanse of stage. She looks so involved in what she's doing that I almost don't want to disturb her, but it only takes one more noisy step for her eyes to zoom up at me.

"Oh hi," she stands up and wipes her hands down on her ebony skinny jeans. "You must be the new girl, I'm Emma."

"Hi Emma, my name is Rae." I move close enough to her to shake her hand. She has a sweet smile, an adorable heart-shaped face, and a kindness that draws me in. There's a chance this is the one person I would've picked as a friend anyway, so I'm happy she's here. "It's nice to meet you. So, what is it you're doing here?"

"Well I'm head of the drama club, and the place was left a bombsite at the end of school so I want to get it sorted."

"Oh right." I've never had any interest in acting, but it wouldn't be polite if I didn't at least offer. "Well, that sounds cool. Maybe I'll join. If you need any help please let me know. I'll give you my number, or something, and you can text me."

"Thanks, that's great." A pregnant pause fills the air, which she instantly seems to feel the need to fill. "So, have you met anyone else from the school yet?"

"I did actually meet someone that goes here, Zac Gella, he said his name was."

Emma's face goes ashen and she stares at me in shock. I can feel my whole face heating up in sheer humiliation. Maybe mentioning Zac wasn't the best idea. "What do you mean met?"

"Erm, we hung out a bit I suppose." I can tell that my body is betraying the truth, but I refuse to admit it aloud. No way! Especially as I have the horrible feeling Emma's going to tell me something that I really don't want to hear.

"He's just...I mean," she stutters, shifting from foot to foot. "I heard that he's a massive player. He's supposed to have hooked up with practically every girl in the school."

An icy chill fills my stomach as she speaks. What the hell have I done? This is why I should never have kissed Zac without knowing him properly. What a rookie mistake, now I'll have a bad reputation already!

Emma continues to talk, telling me about some of the other students in the school, but my mind is whirring, panicking about the stupid error I've made. I can't focus on anything...that is until she suddenly starts harping on about the same quarantine thing my mom was talking about earlier. For some reason, that captivates my attention once more.

"...it's supposed to be a really dangerous virus, and if this quarantine really does happen, then I guess we won't be starting school for a while anyway..."

"Wait," I jump in , holding my hands out to stop her in her tracks. "You've heard about that?"

"You haven't?" she shoots back, just as stunned. "How? Do you not watch the news?"

I suddenly feel like an idiot. I've been so obsessed with my own petty little problems, that I haven't even thought about the rest of the world. Maybe Mom is right about me.

Maybe it's time to change that...

"I haven't, what's going on?"