One Year On - Nine (Oliver)

Oliver

"I don't think I can take it anymore, Danny, I'm serious." I rake my fingers angrily through my hair. "Look at him. Seriously. He's hanging off Katie like a bad smell. He hasn't left her alone at all."

"I don't know, Oliver. I don't think you've got anything to worry about."

"Can you not see what I'm seeing?"

"He does like her, I can see that, but Katie is batting him off. Look at her, that girl only has eyes for you. You don't have anything to worry about."

I shake my head, refusing to acknowledge that. I don't understand why Danny isn't worried. Ever since we set foot in this camp, Ryan has really upped his game. He's utterly determined to win Katie around, and while I don't think he'll do it, it pisses me off.

I should have killed him, or at least left him to die. All my problems would be sorted.

"It's nice that's what you have to worry about anyway." Danny pats me on the back. "Better than when we were out there and it was all about life and death."

"Yeah, I suppose you're right. It was a good idea that we came here." I dart my eyes everywhere and take in our new surroundings. This is almost a life here. "You were right to drag us in to the place. It's the best set up camp that we've ever been to."

"You think it'll last?"

I shrug my shoulders. "It has more chance than anyone else. The leader is a good person, the way they're running this place is fair, the walls are strong..."

"The strong walls are the best part of it."

"I do need to get out of here though, I think. I might have to go out on a supply run or something. Being here and watching him doing this is getting under my skin. I don't want to lose my shit."

"No, because if you do, you'll ruin this here for everyone."

He shoots me a warning look and I feel it running all the way through me.

"I don't want to wreck it for anyone, I want to stay. That's why I need to leave."

"Well, if you go, I'm coming with you."

"You don't have to do that..."

"Oh yes, I do. I absolutely have to come with you. I'm your friend."

It's weird, I met Danny much later than the others, but aside from Katie he's the person I'm closest to. We just have a connection, we click, I really respect his opinion.

"Okay, well we'll make some plans tomorrow. But for now, I need to get that asshole away from Katie because if he continues to fawn over her like that, I'll kill him."

"I know you will, Oliver, but I'm begging you not to. I can't handle murder on top of everything else. Remember, we're rebuilding here, not tearing each other down."

It's easier said than done, but I'll do my best. I really will.

I'll do what I can to ignore him.