Outbreak - Four

I dress quickly, throwing on a t-shirt and jeans, all the while curiously pondering on Zac's bizarre actions. This is weird, right? I mean, I did mention the street I live on, but I haven't seen him for days, and now...this? Maybe I should be concerned, maybe I should be worried that he's a little unhinged or something, but I'm not. If anything, I'm desperately excited to spend more time with him.

My palms are sweaty and my head is buzzing with nerves as I realize how out of character I'm acting for this guy who's practically a stranger. I've never snuck out for anyone before, but then again I've never been so intrigued by someone either. There's just something about Zac that makes me feel a little crazy and obsessed, and I need to know more.

As I'm creeping through the house, desperately trying not to wake anyone up—a third degree from my parents is the last thing I need right now—my body is going crazy. I keep flicking between worry, nervous, and an intense, all-consuming thrill. I've got no idea what Zac's doing here, but he did come right over to me the second he saw me sitting on the beach, which has to be a good sign. And now he's here...I have to see this as a good thing.

The door clicks shut and I spin round to look at Zac, quickly drinking in his gorgeous appearance once more. He's still just as beautiful as the first time I saw him, maybe even more so under the glittering moonlight.

"Come on," he whispers excitedly, his eyes lighting up with a gleeful joy as he grabs hold of my arm. "Let's go for a walk."

A small part of me worries that my parent's might wake up and totally freak out that I'm gone, but a much bigger bit of me cannot believe my luck. This just feels right, I'm far too curious to turn my back on this amazing boy now.

Could it be possible that Zac actually likes me back?

"Okay," I grin brightly, feeling warm as he slips his hand into mine. "Let's go."

As we walk through the now-empty village, Zac talks incessantly. I nod along, acting like I'm listening, but really I'm focusing on his lips. I'm mesmerized by his beauty, and I keep thinking about what it would be like to kiss him. It's difficult to hear anything he's saying when I'm so lost in my imagination.

Eventually we wind up back on the beach, sitting on the sand where we were before. I wonder if this is going to become 'our spot'—it certainly seems to be headed that way, which I really like. I've never had something that I share with just one person before, and I like how inclusive that feels.

At first, Zac begins by giving me a bit of detail about the people I'm going to meet when I start school—a conversation that I really should be paying attention to, but that I'm not really. But after a while, we both fall into, what I hope is a comfortable, silence.

I breathe deeply, trying to calm my racing heart, before shooting him a look out the corner of my eye.

"You're beautiful," he suddenly comments out of the blue, sending a blush through my entire body. I give him a stunned look, wondering if he's joking—I'm definitely only average looking! "And you're pretty cool too," he continues, smiling genuinely at me.

"Oh, well..."

Before I can even begin to formulate a decent response, his lips are on mine, claiming me as his own. I instantly freeze—I've never kissed anyone before and I don't know how! I need time to prepare, what if I do it all wrong and it puts him off?

He pushes himself back, seemingly taking my nerves as a rejection, and I can physically sense him shutting right down. No, I didn't want that to happen, I need to explain.

"I'm sorry, I..." I start, but it's far too embarrassing to vocalize. "I didn't mean to...I like you..."

Thankfully, those words are enough to have him pulling me in yet again for another kiss. This time I really try to relax, I try to lose myself in the moment, but I can't stop my brain from panicking. I worry that my teeth are getting in the way, that I'm moving my tongue wrong, even that my breath is bad. I can't totally lose myself in this moment, even though I know it should be blissful.

But is still feels good to be so wanted.

Eventually he pulls back and stares at my face, smiling. He presses his mouth against mine again lightly, just for a second and then turns to walk me home.

With that, I'm in love...