Chapter 16

"Argh!" Stephone groaned as he slumped against the wall. He clutched his right shoulder, willing the pain and blood to go away. He had inspected it before. He had escaped with a wound that wasn't very deep. Amelia had taken most of the hit. Poor Amelia. Why had Mary escaped unhurt? Why hadn't she gotten hurt as well? He sighed. That meant his guess had been right. Mary's uncle had been killed. Mary's uncle had been in the FBI. That girl was bound to know that, right? She would obviously be dragged into this. It was the only logical option. But.... she was just a small girl. Eighteen.... He couldn't. Being mean was one thing but....

He had to do it. No choice. If that girl succeeded in telling her, then.... his master.. he would be in trouble. No! He wouldn't let her be the reason for Master's ruin! After all, he had helped him so much... He would stop her. He had a mission. The truth had to be hidden. That is what Master said. Yet... was this truth worth all this? He shook his head. Follow orders. No questions asked. Stop her. No matter what it takes. Spots were clogging up his vision. Any wound is deadly. Even small ones. He cursed.

"I'm sorry, Mary. Despite everything, you are a nice girl. But I have no choice. Damn! Why did that ghost have to...?" He got up. Still clutching his shoulder, he began to walk. He had to complete his mission. He walked further and further down the corridor his mind dead set on his mission.

No matter what, he had to find and kill Mary Marrows.

                                           **********************

Sarah opened her eyes. She tried to move her fingers. She smiled triumphantly when she succeeded in moving them. Slowly, she got up. She was in the same desolate room as before. She tried to get up but something was restricting her. "Wha-?" She saw them. Four long chains connected to the wall. Realising her situation, she did the one thing everybody did when in chains - tried to break them. She lunged forward numerous times. The more she tried, the more stubborn they got. It was like they knew she wanted to get out but were intent on keeping her there. They never gave in. She stopped. There's no use. I'm stuck. She leaned against the wall and sat her knees clutched hard to her chest. She stared at the ceiling. she closed her eyes. All alone. In an abandoned tower. Everyone I hope you're alright. I'm sorry if something happened to you because I.... She dropped her head and stared at the floor. "I'm Sorry, Mum. In the endI couldn't..... keep.... my promise... to you." Tears flowed from her eyes. I'm not build to do all this... I'm sorry for thinking I could.

Mum, Dad, Grandpa, Grandma, Sam... She was no longer hiding it. She cried out loud. All alone. No one to hear her. No one to comfort her. No one to stroke her hair and tell her 'It will all be alright.' There probably wouldn't be anymore. She wouldn't be able to see their smiling faces anymore. Mary, Amelia, Paul, Daniel and... even Stephone. Would she even see them anymore? Would they see her? The tears fell down her eyes and wet her clothes and her vision became hazy. Too hazy. Like it was not due to tears but...... Her head was spinning. She closed her eyes and fell into a different world. In front of her eyes was materialised a dark corridor as dark as night. She looked around. It was familiar. Why? Her eyes fell on the doors. Engravings, designs. Ah... This was the corridor of the Cachtice Castle.

"Mum! No! You didn't do this! You couldn't have!" She turned around.  A small girl. When did she get here?  She reached out a hand to the girl. "Hey girl, you shouldn't stay here. It's dangerous. How did you get in?" The girl didn't respond. Her eyes were fixed on what she was watching. The door had been opened ever so slightly. Her eyes were huge with..... fear? "You okay?" she had reached her. She placed her hand on her shoulder. No, she hadn't. She couldn't feel anything. Her hand had passed through her. "What?" The girl was trembling. A blood- curling scream came from the room. The girl flinched. "No!" She yelled. "But..... why?" She asked, her voice trembling. tears streamed down the face of the child as she ran away. Down the hall. Out the building. Into the woods. The door opened as a brown haired woman appeared. Her clothes were drenched in blood. A foul stench came from the room. A sad expression ornated her face. She reached out her hand. But the girl was gone. She let it drop.  She opened her mouth to speak but no words came. She shook her head and disappeared into the room. As the door opened behind her, another one opened. The vision had changed. The girl was back She looked older. And less healthy. Like she had to deal with a lot of stress lately. She stood in a hallway of the Castle again. She came back. Sarah smiled. At least, she's safe. 

She picked up a glass of water and began walking back. She reached a room opened the door and walked in. She sat down on the chair and looked out of the window. She adjusted her hair with the mirror.  A photo of a woman and a girl stood nearby. She reached forward and picked it up. She tore the woman out of the photo and kept it in her pocket. The other half was left on the table. She continued looking into the mirror. 

Then they both heard it. Another one. Another blood-curling scream. The girl stood up causing the chair to fall. The mirror fell from her hand onto the table. Its glass cracked. Her eyes widened. "She can't be back, can she? I mean... she's dead! Is it......? Maybe I can finally figure out the truth behind these rumours." She ran out of the room throwing the door open. Sarah raced after her. She ran down the corridor and up the stairs. She kept climbing up, up, up.  Finally she reached a dark huge room. A hopeful yet miserable expression reflected in her black eyes. A room in the main tower. She grabbed the door knob. Click. It creaked open. She froze. So did Sarah. 

In there was a maid. Tied to a Chair. Screaming hysterically. Bleeding. Next to her, a man. A man covered in Black. His green eyes gleamed. A creepy smile played on his lips. He reached into his pocket. The girl shook her head. He placed his hand over the woman's heart. The girl moved forward. "Please.... no!" He smiled. He plunged his hand down. She screamed. Blood flowed. He moved back. Gone, out the window. The girl ran over to the maid. "Martha!" She pulled the knife out of her. Then it happened. 

The door opened. Light of torches filled the room. She turned. All went blank.  

A new sense of purpose filled her. She now knew all too well who the girl was. Sarah opened her eyes.  "So this is what you meant by chosen, huh? Oh alright. I'll get you justice."                      

                                The girl was Laura Bathory.
                                 This was her story.  

                         Time to find Mary and Amelia.