Epilogue

A little girl was panting hard as she ran. 

"Sis! Wait! Don't be so fast. I can't keep up." She called after her older sister who turned around to wait. "Geez, you're so slow, Sarah. Speed up!" 

The little girl had finally managed to reach her sister. "Sorry, I'm just not as fast as you."

A woman's voice came from inside the house towards which the two girls had been running. "Laura, Sarah! Come on. Lunch is ready!"

 The girls' face lit up and Laura turned to her little sister. "Race ya there. The last one in has to do the dishes."

Sarah frowned. "Ah... No fair. You know I'm slower!"

Laura giggled and ran inside. 

Sarah caught her breath and ran after her. When inside she remembered something and ran into the living room. She took a vase, removed the flower and poured the water out. She changed the water and put the flower back in. "What a strange flower you are. You never seem to wither. Why? Oh well. I like you and you're my sister's favorite flower so don't wither, okay? Good." She said to the flower as she placed the vase back on the table. She smiled happily and ran off to meet up with her sister.  

"Sis! Don't finish my food!" She yelled as she ran out of the living room. 

Sunlight poured in through the large glass windows into the airy room. The vase stood proudly, its occupant a single flower. A single beautiful ethereal flower. 

A beautiful reminder of a long forgotten promise.

A single white lily.