Chapter 5

I was stunned. It's all so confusing.

"Ash please elaborate if you are okay with it."

"Sure. But please be quiet Pooh Bear while I tell you the whole story."

"Okay fine."

"I was 15 years old. My mom had just passed away. She suicided. She was fed up with my dad. He used to drink and abuse her daily. Actually my dad wasn't bad before. We were actually a small happy family. My mom, dad and me.

But one day suddenly my dad's boss fired him. He searched day and night for the job. But all in vain. He continued his search for 3 months. But to no avail. He lost all hopes and started drinking.

This happened when I was 9 years old. My mother tolerated all the tortures of my father for 6 years. One day I was completely torned apart. It was my 15th birthday. He raised hand on me and my mother as well. I picked up my baseball bat and started hitting my father. I was crying, my mother was crying.

The next day when I returned home after school, I see police cars all around my house. I see an ambulance. Two people were carrying my mother on a stretcher. My knees felt weak. I ran towards my mother. My neighbor aunt Ms. Jessica pulled me close to her bosom and hugged me.

I asked her

'What happened to my Mom where are they taking her.'

I knew the answers but still I hoped for some miracle to happen and change the fact that I already know.

'She hanged herself. There was a note lying on the table. Here's a photo of the note she wrote. The real note is with the police officers.'

I read the note :
My dear Ash,
Yesterday I saw my little Ash grow up into a big boy. You stood up for me. I know hitting your father was never one of those values which I gave you.

But I even taught you; never do injustice to others and never tolerate the injustice that someone does to you. And you stood upon that value. Loving and respecting Mom and Dad are childhood values. But standing for injustice are values we learn as we grow up.

I lived until this day and tolerated every injustice done just because I wanted you to be safe. I never wanted my child to suffer the wrath of his drunkard father. But yesterday I saw you stand up yourself. I instantly knew I don't have to protect you anymore. You are capable of standing up for yourslef.

You might be wondering why I opted for suicide. Well there was no other option better than this. I knew I could never hit your father back the way you did. I am not as brave as you are. And if I am alive he will keep abusing me. This was the way to end it all.'

Love,
Mama

That note had an affect on me which was unexplainable. I wasn't sad neither happy. I felt a pain in my heart. I wanted to cry. But the tears weren't able to find its way through my eyes. I wanted to scream but suddenly I lost my voice. I wanted to run but my legs felt numb. I felt helpless.

My mother's burial was done after 5 days. My father was taken in custody for interrogation. I had no contact with him for those 5 days. On the day of burial I saw him standing there nearby my mother's coffin. I couldn't help myself knowing that he was the reason my mother was no more. I slapped him.

'You son of a bitch, how did you dare to slap me. I am your father.'

'You ain't my dad. You are a piece of shit. And abuse yourself. I am the son of a dog. Forget dog they are loyal and calm. I am the son of a donkey.

I ran away from there, took my mother's car and drove at high speed. I knew driving since the age of 14. My mother had taught me.

I was at the speed of 120 km/hr. I was driving recklessly not giving a shit about anyone on the road. I crashed. I crashed with a bike and lost my control. My car hit a nearby tree. I was left unconscious in my car. The next thing I remember is when I wake up I am in an hospital. There are 2 police inspectors interrogating me. I am informed that the people on the bike died on the spot. They both had a young daughter who was 3 year old. I was stunned.