Prologue

"Fatty Fatty two by four! You can’t get through the cafeteria door!”

“Run! It’s fatzilla!”

Lennon Eliza Jennings watched her feet as she walked down the hallway towards her safe haven: the library.

Make way! Make way for Queen Blubber!”

“The blob is coming!”

She held back the tears as she walked. She refused to give her schoolmates the satisfaction. That is, till her feet collided with another, leading her straight to the ground. Hard.

“Earthquake! Earthquake!”

They continued to laugh as the bell began to ring. They all scattered as Lennon struggled to stand. She sniffled and gathered her books. Standing up, Lennon frowned seeing blood on the tile. Checking her face, she found the source: her nose.

Sighing, she made a beeline for the bathroom. Checking the stalls first, she quickly went to the mirror, frowning again at the reflection.

Almond shaped hazel eyes stared back devoid of any spark of life and round nose was swollen, bleeding, thanks to her recent tumble. She reached up to fix her wavy brown hair that was trapped in a messy bun. Her plump pink lips began to quiver the longer she stared as she began to sob. She ran to the stall behind her and locked herself in.

Tears fell down her cheeks mixing with her bloody mucus, but she didn’t care. Her despair echoed in the small space. A sudden slam ceased her sobs and she quickly lifted her legs onto the toilet.

“Oh my God, did you see her fall earlier? It was hilarious!” A high nasal voice spoke out.

“No! But I got the video, gonna watch it before Calculus,” an even higher voice replied.

“You think it’ll go on youtube?”

“Oh my God, it so should!”

“Ugh, why does she even bother showing up here. It’s not like anyone cares.”

“I know! The loser doesn’t even have any friends!”

They went back and forth for a few minutes till Lennon heard the sound of the door shutting. Her waterworks and blood stopped for the time being. Breathing deeply, she opened the door and tossed her soaked tissues in the trash.

Lennon shuffled quietly as she headed to her original destination. She quietly entered, sending the librarian Mrs. O’Riley, a quick nod who in turn sent her a sad look. Lennon settled at a table in the back and got out her homework, seeking a head start.

“Two and a half years Lennon, you can do this,” she mumbled to herself, the simple mantra that would keep her going till she left her hometown in the dust.