Chapter 27

A/N: Hello loves! Thanks for being so patient with me as we go through what I call 'the filler humps'. I know that's what I seem to be posting lately but please know that these fillers are important and give insight to the characters. Annnnnnnnd...I can be kind of a tease when I write 😂 anyways, there's more juice to come so stay tuned and enjoy 😄 Oh, side note! inspirations for 'the dress' as shown above.

-----

"Red suits you."

Next to Krispy Kreme, Duck's Donuts was my all time favorite donut franchise. Even though Caya could throw down in the kitchen and would disown me for shunning her food, there was something about Duck's. Instead of frying their donuts, Duck's baked them till they were light and fluffy. Then you could customize the toppings with a variety of options.

Since their location opened in Nottinton Square, it was a tradition for me and my mom to go there together. Just the two of us. She'd get their Almond Joy donut (chocolate and coconut shavings, nasty in my opinion) while I would get their famous maple bacon (the pregnancy donut my mother called it) which was paradise in my mouth. Whenever I ate one, I could relate to Eve and how good that apple tasted.

But then again, it's her fault that women suffer.

"You done baby? I don't need you dripping maple syrup on my carpets," mom stated as we lingered outside her shop. I stuffed the last of my donut in my mouth as we walked into the shop, my cheeks enlarged like a chipmunk's.

The shop front had large floor to ceiling windows that showed off displays and the inside of her store. Plush ivory carpet stretched all through the store and cream colored walls displayed various clothing items and accessories. Towards the back were the fitting rooms plus a raised platform that stood in front of a semi circle of lit rectangular mirrors, able to showcase what you wore from all angles. Scattered around the center were racks upon racks of dresses, slacks, skirts, and other items with special tags that displayed pictures of fruits and veggies along with standard sizes.

Mom opened her shop, Curves & More, almost a year ago after the successes of her fashion line in Canada and the UK. She planned on expanding her stores sometime next year since stocks and profits have been positive. Her clothing was marketed around, you guessed it, plus size women.

But my mom took the concept just a bit farther than creating just another plus size line. She created the 'fruits & veggies' system to make it easier for females to find something as close to their shape as possible. She was aware that not all plus size women were tall or not all of them were top/bottom heavy; some were pears, apples or even broccoli 'shaped'. She wanted everyone to have an option and affordable place to shop.

'I know what it's like to not have a place to buy clothes and no woman should have to have that issue on top of everything else we deal with.'

Next to Caya, my mom has always been a big role model in my life and since I'm following in her footsteps, I hope to be just as good as she it.

"Miss Jennings? Hey! What are you doing here? Well, it's your store but I thought you wouldn't be back in till Sunday?" A young woman, whose name tag read 'Angela', stated as she headed our way. And this woman was a prime example of Elizabeth's system.

This woman has dark skin and wavy hair styled into a fohawk. While she clearly was busty, like the usual plus size woman, her stomach was rounder and nearly even with her chest level. And she was short, only reaching my shoulder; her body type reminded me of an apple and since she obviously buys my mom's stuff, it flattered her figure and highlighted her more prominent features.

"I'm actually here to pick up a few dresses I ordered a few weeks ago," Elizabeth answered after giving the woman a quick hug.

Realization crossed her features as she looked between us. "Oh my gosh! Is this Lennon?" She exclaimed while my mom nodded. "Oh wow, hi! It's a pleasure to meet you! Your mom talks so much about you!" She gushed, giving my hand a quick shake.