I Dare You ch.6

SIX

"Aurora, the Jackson's invited us over for dinner, remember?" my mother said.

"Uh, no, you definitely did not tell me that," I replied, sitting on the couch next to Robby. We were watching pointless television shows on a late Saturday afternoon. Yeah, we have no lives apparently.

"Yes I did, ask your brother."

"Robby, did she?"

He nodded, "Oh, yeah she did. Awesome, I'll see Brody again!" I groaned and leaned back into the couch, closing my eyes.

"Now go get dressed, both of you," my mother chided, walking out of the room. Robby jumped up to his feet and jogged towards his room. I, on the other hand, slowly got up from the couch and forced myself to walk to my room.

Slowly changing my clothes, I thought out how the evening would go. I certainly didn't want to see Hayden again, especially after a week of avoiding him. Well, trying to avoid him. After the mall incident last weekend, I managed to make up with my best friends, and avoid Hayden. As much as I hated my three best friends withholding information about Gabriella's rumors from me, I couldn't hate them.

And, as for Hayden being nice to me in the mall...well, I didn't really know what to do with that. Therefore, I avoided him during school as much as possible. It was embarrassing for him to find me crying, and then find out why when I confronted Gabriella in the food court. I hated people knowing my business, and that's exactly what Hayden found out. Or at least part of it.

"Aurora, we're leaving now! Let's go!" my mother called. I slipped my blue converse shoes on and jogged down the stairs. My parents packed us all in the car-by all of us, I meant everyone except Liam, who was most likely at another party.

"It's nice to see you all again!" Hayden's mother greeted once she opened the door.

"It's great to see you too, Aubrey," my mother replied as we all stepped into their huge home.

"Aurora, why don't you go put our coats in the guest room for now," my mother told me. I gave her and Hayden's mom a fake smile as I took my family's coats and made my way upstairs.

I set our jackets on the guest bed and turned to walk back downstairs. That is, until I ran into an older man, who I assumed was Mr. Jackson. I still never met him, but Hayden looked a lot like him, so I knew they were related.

"Oh, hello," I said to him, smiling. He stared back at me with a confused, yet stern expression.

"Who are you?" he asked in a business-like manner.

"I'm Aurora Kellan," I answered, my smile still visible.

"Are you one of Hayden's girlfriends?"

I let out a short laugh. "No, I'm definitely not."

The man narrowed his eyes. "Why not? Is there something about my son you don't like? Hayden is a respectable young man at most times."

I froze for a second, unsure of how to reply to that. "Uhm, no, Hayden's nice-"

"Then why did you laugh when I asked a simple question? Do you normally laugh at simple questions because you're unable to answer them?"

His rude comments took me off guard, once again. Well now I know where Hayden get's his jerk side of him. "No sir, I just-"

"Collin! Get down here and help with dinner, please!" Mrs. Jackson yelled from downstairs. He gave me a disappointed look before turning away and walking downstairs.

I let out a huge breath and leaned against the nearest wall. How could somebody be that rude and assume such a horrible thing! I would never be with his son, mainly because he's an ass just like himself.