Chapter 9: It's getting tense

Delia and her mother-in-law were cleaning the porch and sweeping the floor when they noticed Mrs. Krengly walking in through the gate with her youngest son Timmy beside her.

"Isn't that Sarah?"

"Yes, that's her. I wonder what she wants." Delia put down the squeegee, shoved away the buckets full of water and soap and dried off her hands with her apron. She stood straight when Sarah made it to the porch.

"Hey Sarah! How are you?"

"I am okay." Sarah looked down at her son Timmy. He looked really upset. "Timmy came to apologize."

"Apologize? What for?" Delia ruffled the boy's hair. "He's a nice boy and he doesn't play outside a lot."

"Come on, Timmy, tell Aunt Delia."

"Timmy! Come on. It's impolite. Give them back."

Timmy handed Delia a bag. "I'm sorry for stealing Ash's and his girlfriend's clothes, ma'am!"

Delia and George's mom instantly exchanged a look.

"I went back to the beach but they weren't there..." Timmy pouted. "I'm sorry, ma'am. I won't do it again."

"W-what girlfriend?"

Sarah blinked. Timmy grinned from ear to ear. "It's a reaaaaaally pretty girl! I saw them swimming! I was peeking from the cliff-"

Sarah gasped. "You went to the cliff?"

"No! I was just peeking!" Timmy whined. "I wanted to see how the girl looked like!"

"Oh, God! Those children! See, Delia? See? Look what's inside their heads! They already think about girls!"

Timmy stomped his foot on the ground. "But she was skinny and she had orange straight hair! Orange!"

Delia bent down and placed her hand on the boy's shoulders. "What else?"

"Oh, please, she's starting again." Ash's grandmother just kept cleaning.

"When she took off her clothes she had reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally big boobies!"

"TIMMY!" Sarah gasped and placed her hands over her face. She pulled her son behind her and told Delia, "I'm so sorry, Delia! He doesn't mean it in that way!"

Delia barely cared. All she did want is to know who this girl was. Ash was hiding something. She knew it. He went out way too much, and yesterday, he was back too happy than usual.

"It's fine, he's just a kid."

"You're lucky you have one son!" Sarah sighed and pushed her son forward. "Sorry for interrupting your chores. I'll see you around, Delia."

"Bye..."

As soon as Sarah left, Delia rushed toward George's mother. She almost slipped on the wet floor. "What are we going to do?"

"Nothing, of course. If he's met a girl, isn't that good?"

"I don't remember seeing any girl with orange hair in this town, Felicia."

"What do you mean?"

Delia gasped. "Could she be an outsider?" She looked down and started taking the clothes out of the bag.

"I don't think you're allowed to do that."

"Yes, I am. Ash is my son." Delia sat at the porch table and dumped the clothes on the table. She then started to pick up the girl's clothes.

Grandma was a little curious so she came to look as well.

"I'm sure her dad hasn't seen her leave her house yesterday." Delia blinked at the mini shorts. The tank top was elastic so it probably fit tight. "This is completely unacceptable!"