Chapter 15: Breaking taboos

Misty ran in the small roads of Pallet town between the green yards; panting and her heart beating fast. She finally got to the farm house Leaf has showed her: Ash's house.

She was wondering if yesterday had anything to do with the fact that he hasn't come this morning to see her. She tried to open the gate but it was locked. She kept banging hard on it.

"Ash!"

"Hey hey hey! What's all this shouting about? What's going on?" A voice shouted behind the large gate. It opened.

"Oh, it's you." Delia put her hand on her hip. "What do you want?"

"Look - I mean, what happened yesterday - it was an accident." Misty panted. "I meant that it didn't mean anything - it was just - Ash just-"

"What are you talking about?"

"There is nothing between me and Ash, Mrs. Ketchum. That's what I'm trying to say."

Delia kept staring at her. "Well..."

"Delia? Who is it?" Grandma came in sight. "Oh, it's the bride!"

Misty's eyes shot wide. "No! I'm-"

"She said there is nothing between her and Ash, my dear." Delia spoke in a flat tone. "I'm not sure what happened yesterday means then."

Misty didn't get why they stuck so hard to traditions. It was just a tradition. It didn't mean anything.

"What are you saying? Everything is so clear right now." Grandma pulled Misty by the arm inside the house. "You're the girl who's been going with him to the cliff! The rumors were true."

"Uh-"

"Come with me, sweetie. Ash is helping his dad with the wine packing but he'll be home soon." They closed the gate and started walking toward the house. "And we have a lot of things to discuss. Where are your parents?"

"But I'm not - it's not what you think it is! It has nothing - we're not together!"

When they got to the porch, an old man sitting asked, "Who is this lovely lady?"

"Don't stare too much, grandpa. Ash is marrying this girl."

"But - Ash!" Misty ran toward the raven haired when he showed up from the back of the house. He looked a bit surprised to see her.

"Misty?"

"Ash, tell them! They got everything wrong!" She shook his arm and pointed at his mother and grandmother. "They think you want to marry me."

"Oh."

"Okaaay. We're leaving. We got it." The two women got inside the house and closed the door.

Ash led her to the porch table and he sat down. "Come on, Mist. Sit."

"Ash-"

"Sit, it's fine."

Misty sat down and turned to look at Ash's grandfather.

"It's fine. He doesn't care." Ash chuckled. His grandfather was smoking a joint.

"Uh..."

"You look like you've seen a ghost, Mist. What's wrong?"

"The whole town got everything wrong!" Misty frowned. "Your fiancée Mina came this morning to Leaf's house! She was so mad. She thought we were getting married."

"What else?" Ash looked amused.

"Even Leaf thinks so - even your parents! And your grandmother!" Misty noticed Ash wasn't really taking her complains seriously. "This is not funny, Ash."