Chapter 13: The ceremony

Misty was drawing in the backyard of the Greens' household. She had a lovely summer short dress and sandals on, her hair was up in a small bun and she wore a colorful head band. Her hand moved quickly and graciously against the canvas. She and Ash have been going around town a lot for the past weeks, and she got a lot of ideas for her painting.

"Hey Misty." Ash approached her from behind. Misty said without turning around, "Hey Ash."

"Uhm, what are you drawing?"

"Just something I got on my mind."

"Oh, okay..." Ash coughed a bit. "Say, do you want to come to the grape stomping ceremony?"

"Grape stomping?" Misty turned around.

"We use machines for that now, so it's just a tradition - to have fun."

"Oh..." Misty put down her pencil. "I-I don't know."

"I thought you wouldn't be interested but then I told myself I should ask you anyway." Ash smiled. "You can't blame me for trying."

"No, I can't." Misty giggled. "I'd really love to. I've never seen it in person before. I've only seen it in the movies."

"Hey!"

Gary came running. He picked Misty up, catching both Ash and the redhead off guard. "We're late! Come on! They're starting!"

"Put me down!" Misty kicked her feet in the air as Gary ran and Ash followed after him, hissing,

"At least let me carry her!"

"He's going to bring her. You'll see."

"We'll see."

"Yes. We'll see."

Delia and her mother-in-law were sitting beside each other, their eyes going around. The area was really crowded, and men were starting to dump the grapes into the big wooden barrel.

"Do you think he'll lift her into the barrel?"

Delia gasped. "What are you talking about?"

Grandma blinked. "Hum?"

Ash's mother didn't appreciate the conversation anymore. She got up and went to make herself busy with the festival. When Grandma decided to get up as well, she felt someone put their hand on her shoulder behind her. She got up and turned around.

"Oh, hi, Mina."

"Hi Grandma. Have you seen Ash around?"

"He said he went to get Gary and Leaf, dear." At least that's what he said.

"Okay. Tell him I'm looking for him if you see him."

"I will."

Mina flashed her smile, adjusted her hat and walked away. Grandma chuckled, shaking her head to herself as she picked up the chairs to get them out of the way. After all, all people of the village will gather here.

The people of the village started gathering. Music started playing and the husbands started picking up their wives and lifting them up to the barrel. Squished grapes flew all over the place and the laughs were loud.

"Get out of the way get out of the way get out of the waaaaaay!"

"Hahahahahahaha!"

Everyone turned to look at Gary who was running toward the barrel quickly with Leaf between his arms.

"Mommy! They're not married yet!" A little girl pointed at them.

"Shut up." Gary's glare sent the girl away running to her mom crying. He lifted up Leaf and put her on the barrel.

"This feels really squishy and funny, you know?" Leaf laughed loudly.

"How would I know? You're the one with the boobs."

"Oh, just shut up."

He turned around, barely catching sight of Ash and Misty who stood in the back. It seemed like everyone was staring at Misty more than they were watching the ceremony. Ash's parents were really staring at him.

"Hey! Come on!" Gary waved at Ash.

Ash smiled weakly. Misty turned toward him. "Is something wrong? What does Gary want?"

"No, nothing. Do you like it?"

"Yeah, I really do. I wish I brought my sketching book." Misty was stunned. She's never been to a similar ceremony before. "So, it's only for women?"

"In our town, yeah." Ash thought he'd keep the details for himself. There were a lot of things Misty didn't know about their town traditions and it was better that way.

"It's really beautiful."

"Yeah. We do this every year for fun. We just get rid of the grapes later on." Ash chuckled. "No one wants to drink wine made of grapes smashed with feet."

"I agree." She giggled.

"But back then, it was the only way to get the juice. It was really a sacred ceremony."

"Ash? Honey?"

Ash turned to look behind him. Misty did as well. "We were looking for you. Where were you?" His grandma asked.

"I went - I was with Gary."

"Oh, alright." She looked Misty up and down. "Mina is looking for you everywhere."

"Okay..."

"Who is this girl with you?" She smiled at Misty.

"This is Misty. She came to town to work on her college project." Ash looked at Misty. "She wants to try the stomping, actually. It's for her project."

Misty narrowed her eyes. What the hell?

"Oh, really? For her project?" Grandma smiled mischievously.

"ASH! COME ON!" Gary kept calling from his spot.

Ash sighed lightly. He said, "Yes, Grandma. Right, Misty?"

Misty had no idea what was going on. "Huh?"

"ASH! COME ON!" Gary shouted again.

"Ash!" Mina called out. She jumped at him and grabbed his arm. "Where were you?"

"Is it true, Misty? Do you really want to try?" Grandma hid her mouth with her hand.

"Excuse me, Misty needs something!"

Misty let a loud shriek when Ash picked her up, rushing to the barrel, taking off her flip-flops and lifting her up to it.

"I-"

"There!" Ash let a loud breath and stepped to the back. "FOR YOUR PROJECT!"

No one talked. The music stopped. Everyone froze in their spots. Everyone stared at the two.

It's like the world froze.

"RIGHT?" Ash's hands were trembling and he was blushing.

Misty felt someone grab her hand. It was Leaf. She giggled loudly as she grabbed a bunch of smashed grapes and threw it at her.

"Hey!"

"For luck!"

Ash had really no courage to turn around. He kept his gaze fixed on Misty, clueless and having no idea that their life has taken a big turn from the moment her put her into the barrel in front of the people of the village, and mostly, in front of Mina and his parents.

-

Two or three more chapters :c