Chapter 12: Rumor has it

Ash was munching on his fifth or fourth (he wasn't sure) pancake when his mom came in the dining room. When she had that apron of hers on, it meant trouble. His dad was on the other side of the table, drinking coffee and reading newspaper.

"Aren't you two finished yet? It's noon!"

"Hey, let us eat in peace!" George narrowed his eyes. "It's noon! It's noon! It's noon-so what?"

Delia huffed. Ash tried to contain his laughter-well, he better do. His mouth was full.

"You shouldn't get use to eating this late! It's lunch time!" She sat down beside her husband and turned toward Ash. "Well?"

"Well?" He looked puzzled.

"Aren't you going to spill?" She put her hands on the table. "People have seen you, you know."

"Spill what?" Ash looked at his dad. This latter did the same and shrugged.

"Don't pretend you know nothing!" Delia waved her hand. "You leave the house too much and you keep spraying yourself with perfume before you head out of the door!"

His dad laughed. Ash scowled. "Uh-so? It's good to smell good."

"What for?"

"What for? It's for me!"

"Are you sure it's not someone else?"

"Mom! What's going on?"

"I should ask you that! You've been hiding things from us."

His dad raised his hand. "I agree."

"You're supposed to be on my side..." Ash frowned at his dad. He looked at his mom. "I don't know what you're talking about, honestly."

"Well! I'm talking about Mina."

"Mina?" Ash made a face. "I thought we were over that topic! I don't want to marry Mina!"

"Well, sweetie, I've seen you with my own eyes this time-well, it was Maggie who saw you both but it's like I've seen you with my own eyes. She won't lie to me."

"What the..."

He thought they were going to bring a certain skinny redhead; but no, they had to say it's Mina. But when did he meet Mina outside? Maybe he did. Ash was pretty friendly with her. They said hi all the time and he helped her occasionally carry her groceries.

But the fact that he's been taking good care of his appeal lately was true, that's probably why they thought it was for Mina.

It was more for Misty, but no one needed to know that.

His dad suddenly put the newspaper down and slammed his hands against the table. "Ash, I don't think it's nice of you to play with the girl's feelings."

"I'm not! I don't like Mina in that way! She's my sister."

"Then-"

"Then what? I like to put perfume and I like to go out, what else?"

George turned toward his wife. "He makes sense."

Delia sighed. "What's wrong with Mina?"

"Nothing is wrong with her; it's just that I don't love her."

"You'll love after-"

"No, I'm sorry! I want to marry someone I wanted way before I wanted to marry them! Does that make sense?"

His dad cocked his head. "Yes and no."

Ash shrugged and got up. "I'm off."

His parents watched him leave. This time, before he got out through the main door, he didn't put any perfume on.

"He's probably saving it for when he's out."

"Are you sure it's Mina?"

"Hum?"

"Maybe it's really the girl you told me about, the skinny one." Dad put his hand on Mom's shoulder. "I've heard he's been going around a lot with a skinny lady with dyed hair lately. It's surely her."

"Going around?" She thought that story was over.

"Cliff diving... walking around fields... kissing..."

Delia gasped again. "Kissing?"

"Hey, that's just a guessing." It really wasn't. Mr. Krengly has told him about an interesting story of Ash almost kissing an orange haired 'awfully skinny' girl in the wheat field called Misty. George was still looking for a a gentle way to announce it to his wife.

"If there is one thing that I wouldn't allow, it's this."

"What 'this'? Getting your spot replaced by a woman he likes?"

She rolled her eyes. "That girl is not from here! We can't allow this!"

"There are things you can't really control, Delia. Do you know that?"

"Yes, I know, but this is something we can control."

"I can't. If you can, then go ahead and control it."