Chapter 11: About beauty

Ash and Misty walked slowly side by side through the large wheat golden field. Misty stopped every now and then and sketched on her notebook, and Ash just watched her hand move quickly across the page, amazed at her talent.

"I just can't get enough of drawing in this place!" Misty spoke as she added the final touches to one of her doodles. She was adding shadows with her fingertips.

"Uhm." When it had something to do with her college studies, Ash preferred to remain silent.

Misty sighed after finishing her doodle. She hugged her notebook against her chest again. "Can we sit somewhere?"

"Of course."

"Wh—hey!" Misty laughed when Ash pulled her down to the field. "Here?"

"Yeah. Do you like it?" They were literally in the middle of the wheat field. He hoped they weren't going to get caught, though.

"Absolutely." Misty pulled her knees up slightly and placed her sketching book on her lap. "This town is so beautiful."

"Yeah, it is." Ash looked around him. He looked toward Misty and something caught his eye. "Your pants are ripped."

"Oh, yeah." Misty smiled, looking down at her jeans.

"Leaf's house is not too far. You can go cha-"

"Ash, they're like that. They're supposed to be ripped."

"Oh." Ash blinked. "I thought..."

Misty giggled. "They're called Boyfriend jeans, Ash."

"With you, I learn a thing every day." But the fact that her pale skin was showing wasn't helping.

"I guess I'm different from the girls you're use to."

"Yeah — I mean, sometimes I think you'd break into pieces if I touch you."

She laughed loudly.

"Are you serious?"

"You look really skinny."

"I don't look skinny; I am skinny."

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Come on, don't be silly." She shifted a bit. "I've always been like this. I'm okay. I like myself this way."

Ash moved so he sat cross-legged. "I think the last time I was skinny is when I was six. It was during summer. I ate some berries I picked from the forest and got a really bad food poisoning."

Misty was laughing again.

"Why are you laughing?"

"So, people of the village think I have food poisoning?"

Ash smiled. "Maybe." He put his arms behind him to support himself. "You know, they associate skinny with hideous and beautiful with thick."

"I figured that out."

Ash regained himself. How did he even say that? "Not that I think you're hideous! I think you're really beautiful and I don't-"

"It's fine." Misty picked a wheat plant and started pressing the small grains. "It's relative, after all."

"You know..." Ash shifted closer to the redhead. "I think all girls are pretty..."

"Yes." She rolled her eyes.

"You..."

Misty turned toward him when he put his hand over hers.

"I just think you're prettier."

Their faces were so close Misty started to shiver. He was so handsome. He had a captivating look. He was so oblivious about the way he made her feel.

"Hey! You two!"

Misty and Ash got up instantly. The raven haired recognized the familiar voice. "We're sorry, Mrs. Krengly. We weren't snatching the plants. Right, Misty?"

"Of course! I was just doing some sketches."

"Oh, Ash, it's you..." Sarah stood facing the two. She put her broom down. She couldn't believe her own eyes! Was this the girl her son Timmy has seen? Ash was about to kiss her! 

"Mrs. Krengly?" Ash waved his hand.

"Oh—yes—yes?"

"Can we leave?"

"Sure, sure, go..."

He flashed her a nervous polite smile and pushed Misty forward, making their way away from the wheat field. Sarah was watching them the whole time.

"Is he seriously choosing this living stick over Mina?"