Chapter 14: Just a tradition?

Misty got off her stool as she heard some loud yelling coming from the front yard. She made her way through the garden and slowed down when she finally got to see the scene.

"I can't believe you're letting her stay here! You traitors!"

"Watch your mouth, you little bug!"

"I dare you to touch me!"

"I'm not scared of you!"

"What's going on?" Misty asked Leaf's mother who just shoved her back to the back yard. "Stay here!"

"What's going on?"

"Just stay here, Misty!" Mrs. Green was smiling a little. "She's going to lose it!"

"Mina?" Misty noticed she was yelling at Leaf, but what for?

"Shhhh. It's going to calm down eventually." Mrs. Green ran back to the front yard and stood in front of her daughter.

"Come on, Mina, leave this house and now!"

"You're letting the enemy in!" Her sister was holding her back. Leaf was twirling a bat in her hand. She was ready for sh*t. "You don't even know who she is!"

"Go, Mina."

"That girl is dangerous! You don't even know!"

"Go!"

"I-"

"Mom said go!" Leaf lifted up the bat. "You don't tell me what to do, Miss Mina! Leave this house and now! We let in who we want and kick out who we want!"

"You traitors! I hate you!"

"Fine by me!"

Mina and her sister left. Leaf glared at them as they were still in sight. "What a whore."

"She's mad and you should understand."

"Yeah yeah yeah."

Misty joined them as soon as things calmed down. "What happened?"

"Oh, nothing." Leaf smiled and put her arm over Misty's shoulders. "Mina wants us to kick you out because you've got Ash."

"I've got-what? What?" Misty chuckled nervously and pulled away from her. "He never asked me out."

"What are you talking about? I never said he did." Leaf smirked. "But he picked you up yesterday."

"Yeah, he did." Misty blinked.

"Oh, right." Leaf shook her hand. "You have no idea."

"About what?" Misty's heart started to beat fast. It seemed like she missed something really big...

"Aw, no one told the girl?" Mrs. Green held Misty's hand. "Do you know what does it mean in our town when a single guy lifts up a single girl to the barrel?"

"No...?" Misty was afraid she knew what that meant now... "But it is what I'm thinking it is?"

Leaf put her hands on Misty's shoulders. "He wants to marry you."

"WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?" Misty shouted.

"I'm shocked he never told you before picking you up-"

"No, he did not!" Misty gasped. Now everything was so clear. "He did not!"

"Calm down, Misty. It's fine."

"No, it's not! He did it in front of everyone!"

"Exactly! That's how they do it."

Misty shook her head quickly. "He kept saying it was for my project! Come on, he just wanted me to try it. I've never seen such ceremony before."

"We don't play with these traditions in our town, Misty. This has one meaning." Leaf patted her shoulder.

"What-..."

"It's fine." Leaf hugged her. "We got Mina out of the way. The only one left is Delia, and that woman will get you through her head sooner or later."

"Leaf!" Misty shook her. "I'm here for my painting! I'm here for college! I didn't come here to marry Ash! I'm leaving in four days!"

"Then you'll have to tell him about this decision." Leaf watched Misty leave. Her mom joined her side.

"But if she says no... he's done it in front of everyone!" Mrs. Green frowned. "No woman will ever come near him again."

"I really hope that doesn't happen, mom."