Chapter 27

*3 months later*

Matthew's POV:

"Daddy look! Look! Mummy's fingers are moving!" Caydon's excited yrt loud voice pierced into my ears, making me wince slightly. Loud.

"Oh my goodness! Doctor! Doctor! He's awakening!" Dylan? "Matthew, can you hear me? If you can, please give me a sign."

Focusing on moving my hand, I lifted up a finger slightly before dropping it. Damn, it's hard. "Oh my goodness. He can hear me! Matthew love, can you try to open your eyes?"

Using all of my strength, I forced my eyes open to see darkness. Why is it so dark in here? Ouch! My eye hurts. I whinced in pain, closing my eyes immediately when I felt a sharp pain in my right eye. It hurts...

"Are you okay?! Doctor, what's happening? Is he fine?" Dylan asked the doctor worriedly. I kept my eyes shut still in fear of the pain striking again.

"Matthew, can you open your eyes again, one by one? I need to check if there's anything wrong." The doctor said calmly as tears rolled down the sides of my face. I don't want to open my eyes. It hurts. It hurts so badly.

"Please love, I know it's painful but the doctor won't know what's wrong if you don't open your eyes. Please love. Just a little?" Dylan's large warm hands engulfed mine, making me feel safe instantly.

Opening my left eye first, I was met by endless darkness...not even a single hint of light... Why? What's wrong with me? Why can't I see?! Why?! Tears flowed down my face freely as the darkness swallowed me whole. Am I blind? Am I?

"Can you open the other please?" Closing my left, I opened my right to see a faint image of Caydon in front of me. Why can I only see part of his face? Why can't I see his whole self? What's happening to me?

 Why can I only see part of his face? Why can't I see his whole self? What's happening to me?

"What's going on doctor?! Is everything alright?"

"I'm sorry Mr Valentine but the blow to his head have caused his left eye to permanently lose its vision and his right eye, from what I can see, is currently suffering from Glaucoma.

It is most likely to also be due to the hit which have caused the pressure in his eye to increase and damage it's optic nerve. The bad news is, it may worsened even further and make him blind in that eye too." Blind...so I'll most probably going to be blind?

"Is there anyway to cure it?" I tilted my head to the side to see a frantic looking expression on his face. He looks thinner and he hasn't trimmed...I hoped that he had been taking care of himself and Caydon.

"I'm terribly sorry but there are no cures for Glaucoma." No c-cure...no cure...

"There has to be a cure for it! What if I give him my eye?! Can he see then?!" No. I don't want that.

It hurts. My eye hurts, my hip hurts and my heart hurts. My heart feels so pained. It hurts to breathe and it hurts to have someone who loves me so much. I don't want him to suffer jut because of me. I'm not worth it....I'm not.

"I'm sorry Mr Valentine but there are really no cure for Glaucoma. All we can do is hope that it doesn't worsened. The chance of him regaining his sight even with your eyes are extremely low. Around 3-5 percent and it does not guarantee that he'll regain the full sight."

"I-I see...when can he go home doc?"

"Latest by the end of this week if he's deemed fine to go. He'll have to be wheelchair bound for the next few months until his hip has fully recovered from the fracture. He also needs to go for physiotherapy every odd days during the weekdays so as to help him regain his normal movement from his hips downwards." Wheelchair...months...physiotherapy...every odd days...

I'm such a huge burden to them...I bet the hospital bills cost a bomb already. I can't live off Dylan any longer. It's not fair for him. I'm useless. I can't do anything at all now.

I can't cook, I can't pick Caydon from school without help, I can't clean or wash, go up or down the stairs and I can't even see where I'm really going. I'm like a buy one get 101 free item. 101 faults. No uses at all... Nothing...

"Noted. He'll be there. Don't worry. Thank you doc."

"You're welcome. Have a nice day." I heard the door open before closing as I kept my remaining sight solely on the one I love. The pain, the anguish and the anger he felt are all written on his face.

"Mummy, can you not see Cade?" I turned to see Caydon's teary face in front of me as I felt around for his hands while I kept my gaze on him for the whole time.

"My hands are here mummy." His hands found their way to mine as his warm hands enveloped mine.

"I'm sorry-"

"Don't say sorry mummy. You've always been the one holding my hand. Now, it's my turn to hold your hand now. Caydon's a big boy already." His words touched my heart deeply as I wrapped my arms around him tightly, bringing him into a hug, ignoring the stabbing pain in my side for that moment.

"Thank you Caydon...I love you."

"I love you too Mummy. Forever and ever."

"Matthew, I love you. I love you now and then. Even if you turn blind one day or turn paralysed, I'll still love you till the end. So don't think otherwise okay? I love you Matthew and I'll always will. You're part of our family so I'll always protect you and love you." Tears fell from Dylan's eyes as he sat by my side, capturing mine and Caydon's hand in his big warm ones.

"I love you too Dylan...Forever."

"Forever."