XVIII

"So, when the judge said you were free at the end of the month, how did you feel?" You ask, cringing at the questions Bettleman had written on the paper.

Grayson laughed slightly, eyeing you. "Are you serious? We're gonna talk about my feelings after we made out?" His question made your cheeks burn red.

"It's not my fault. Bettleman has these all written" you answer him.

"Come on, i know nothing about you." He suggests, "tell me something no one knows about you."

It was your turn to eye him in suspicion, "like what?"

"Anything."

You put the clipboard beside you on his bed. The scratchy blanket made your spine shiver as you accidentally brushed your hand against it. "I'm adopted, but my parents don't know that i know" you blurt, internally asking yourself why the hell you told him that.

"Oh wow. I was expecting something like... you still play with Barbies" he laughs. You laugh too, not being able to help it. His laugh is so damn contagious.

"I do not play with Barbies" you quiet your laugh and smile at Grayson, admiring his beautiful features. The more you two talk, the more you're interested in him... you were slowly falling for him. Hopefully he's be there to catch you.

Grayson's POV

"I do not play with Barbies" she smiles, stopping her beautiful laugh.

She's perfect.

Anything she does intrigues me. "Why haven't they told you?" I ask her, wanting to know more. She knew so much about me yet, i know her first name. That's all.

"I'm not sure... maybe they don't want me to feel bad?" She asks, questioning the intent of her parents. "It's okay, i mean... I'm not upset. I'm glad they never told me. If my real parents didn't want me, then that's okay." She looks down briefly, then back up at me. Her eyes were shining. She has to be the most amazing person i've ever met.

"Okay, how about school?"

"I just graduated my senior year of high school and i plan to go to Med school for a degree in Psychology" she smirks, proud of her future accomplishments.

"Oh wow, look at you" i smile back, teasing her.

"Shut up" she laughs again, lightly pushing my arm. To her surprise, i don't move. Her hand lingers for a moment, caressing my muscles as she stares in awe. "Damn Grayson" she blurts in an almost-whisper.

"What?" i ask.

"It's nothing" she dismisses, retracting her hand. I stop her movements at her wrist, the frail bone between my fingers.

"Tell me" i say softly, wanting to know.

"It's fine, Grayson. Seriously" she tells me.

"She's lying." The voice confirms. "Just like Stacy did."

"Y/n" i say in a demanding tone, catching her off-guard. The atmosphere turns dark and heavy. My thoughts are suddenly clouded by images of Y/n lying on the floor. Dead.

"You're hurting my wrist" she says, trying to remove it from my tight grip. I can see my knuckles turning white, her hand turning red.

The voice continues to taunt me, "break her wrist."

"No" i yell, throwing her arm from my hand, standing up. I back away from her as far as i can. I can't hurt her.

"Grayson" she says cautiously, standing up as well. She cradles her wrist in her other hand as she walks to me. My door is open, in case something like this were to happen. Then she could get out if need-be.

"You should go" i tell her. She doesn't listen. Instead, she walks closer.

"Grayson why did you say 'no'?"

"The voice" i say, catching myself off-guard. The only other psychiatrist i've ever told about him was Katrina. The mother of my unborn child.

Her eyes widen and then return to normal, "w-what voice?" I can't help but look at her. She looked so fragile. So confused. Why is it that i always hurt the ones i'm supposed to love?

"Him. The reason i hurt people." i tell her.

Her breath is shaky, as if she were driving on a bumpy road. The faltering sound made my heart rate speed. The look on her face was mixed with confusion and fear.

"I really am crazy... Aren't i?" She lets out a sigh, letting go of her wrist. She walks to me, placing her hands on my shoulders, making me look at nothing but her.

"Grayson, you're not crazy. You may overreact to certain things, but you're not crazy." She seems genuine, but i know deep down, i am crazy.

"Why aren't you afraid of me?" My eyes were completely focused on hers. The y/e/c colored orbs were staring back into me, as if she could understand me.

"Because nothing about you is scary to me. If you were going to kill me, you would have done it already" she tells me. That's not true.

She raises up, using her calves as leverage, leaning in to kiss me. Her soft lips land on mine and i kiss back, fully interested in it. Her hands move to my face to cradle my cheeks in her small, cold hands. When she pulls away, her eyes are smiling, but her mouth is slightly open as she breathes.

This is wrong. She could get fired for this.

I remove her hands from my face and step back, away from her. "You should really go."

"What?"

"I don't really want to do this session. Please leave" i tell her, walking to my bed. I pick up the clipboard and hand it to her, begging her with my eyes to leave.

"If it's something i said i-"

"It's nothing you said, Y/n. Just please leave" i tell her a little louder than my previous words. She looks defeated and angry, but leaves the room nonetheless. She slams my cell door shut, huffing as she walks back down to the guard room.

When the loud buzzer sounds, i know she's away from me. She's safe from me. She's guarded from me.

"Fucking another one, eh?" Folley asks from his cell door.

"Shut the fuck up you sick bastard" i yell, walking to my door. I grip the bar of the square tightly, feeling the cold metal in my palms.

"Eh, i don't blame you. She's hot" he chuckles darkly. His raspy voice talking about her that way made me sick to my damn stomach.

"I will kill you if you say one more word about her" i threaten.

"Alright, fine." He retreats, "how about we talk about your ex-whore? Katrina, was it?"

My blood boils at the thought of him listening to us at night. The nights when she would work late and sneak into my cell.

"Shut the hell up!" i seethe.

If he doesn't stop, i may not get out of here by the end of the month. Or ever.

Your POV

You walk passed the guard desk, hearing the voices from the men's cells coming from the computers. At the large desk in the room was the security cameras and speakers. They could hear anything that was of high frequency. The cameras were strictly in the hallway. No cells were monitored.

That was why you would be fired if anyone- or anything- heard you. The microphones were stashed behind the cameras.

Small voices came through, clearly sounding like Grayson and Folley. You dismissed the conversation until Folley brought up someone. A girl.

"How about we talk about your ex-whore? Katrina, was it?" He asks Grayson.

Grayson yells back, "Shut the hell up!"

Your mind wanders as you press the button for the elevator, waiting for it to make an appearance.

Who the hell is Katrina?

Word Count: 1292